Removing scratches on glass?

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to know is there anything special I can do to remove some light scratches on a glass tank.

Looking to setup a smaller cube tank but it’s has more than enough scratches on it. I was hopping maybe I can try and get rid of some and make it look new and pristine again.

Heard of using white toothpaste and soft cloth. But is there other options? Better easier options? Let me know any info is appreciated

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming these scratches are on the inside? If so then there's really no easy way but just lots of elbow grease and buffing compound called Cerium Oxide

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just wanted to know is there anything special I can do to remove some light scratches on a glass tank.

Looking to setup a smaller cube tank but it’s has more than enough scratches on it. I was hopping maybe I can try and get rid of some and make it look new and pristine again.

Heard of using white toothpaste and soft cloth. But is there other options? Better easier options? Let me know any info is appreciated
White toothpaste and baking soda generally works well with a soft rag and then buff clean.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

eloser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used cerium oxide on two of my tanks to remove scratches...light to medium deep scratches. I've heard of the toothpaste technique but I can't imagine it working very well at all especially if you do it manually. Scratches from glass are difficult to remove. I used a dual action polisher with the cerium oxide to remove 6 relatively small scratches on my most recent tank and it took me hours with a power tool. Keep in mind, you can distort the glass if you polish it too much. It's kind of like putting on a pair of prescription glasses that are not prescribed for you. It's only noticeable when you put your face right up against the spot or at certain angles. I noticed that on two spots on my 150 gal where I was too aggressive with the polishing.

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my fear with using a advanced way of removing scratches. Something simple and safe

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I found this thread. To me, this sounds like one of those rare instances with my tank where DIY just isn't worth the saved money. Just the idea of me plus power tool working on my DT glass (with water in the tank---my annoying scratch is on the outside) is giving me the shakes. I think I'll just call a glass shop to come fix it

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I found this thread. To me, this sounds like one of those rare instances with my tank where DIY just isn't worth the saved money. Just the idea of me plus power tool working on my DT glass (with water in the tank---my annoying scratch is on the outside) is giving me the shakes. I think I'll just call a glass shop to come fix it

Glass shop around me won’t even touch it

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some info and materials here. glasspolishshop.com General rule is that if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, it's not coming out with just polish. I'm a retired autobody shop owner so quite familiar with buffing/polishing. I actually bought some of the abrasive pads and such to try and restore a used 125 we bought . I decided it wasn't worth the effort even if it did work and it's now our sump.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cerium Oxide, lay the side you are going to polish down on a folded towel. Put Cardboard on the Right and left glass, this is so you don’t bang into the glass with the drill motor. Get a spray bottle with RO/DI or Distilled water in it. Add a bit of Dawn Dish Soap. Wet the glass, put a couple of dabs of the Cerium Oxide on the Polish Pad. Try to do a big area, rather than a concentrated area. Keep misting the glass, with the water soap mixture. BTW, it will be slung all over the place. The Cerium Oxide is available on Amazon, and eBay. Buy the Cerium Oxide and Polishing Pad from the same Vendor, and check to make sure it matches the Cerium Oxide Grade, you are buying. Be very careful, you don’t stay in one area and heat up the glass.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back