Removing/working around badly applied reef cement?

danb87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, first timer here and trying to stick together my first aquascape - using AF Stone fix currently.
I basically had a bit of a nightmare and either didn't leave two pieces to cure long enough, or didn't use enough cement, but basically the stuff came apart when I went back to it the next day. Now I've got a resulting grey, cementy mess and I'm worried if I try and work in that same area again, I'm going to have issues adhering the pieces together on top of the already dried cement.
Anyone have any ideas how to work around this? I've already chipped away and sanded the residual cement as much as I could, is there anything else I could do or should I just carry on over the top of it?
I was also thinking of getting some air duster/compressed air to blow away some little bits of rubbled cement that are stuck into the crevices, would using that be safe for my rock (this is all out of the water at the moment)
Attached some pictures of the mess I've made - thanks in advance.
20230227_131006.jpg
20230227_131010.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the left over material is stuck to the rock as well as you indicate cement should be fine cement other rocks to it. Persoanlly I preffer to drill my rock ao it can be dissambled when upgrading or moving. Don't forget to use some live rock for beneficial sponges and microbial stuff.

OP
OP
D

danb87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the left over material is stuck to the rock as well as you indicate cement should be fine cement other rocks to it. Persoanlly I preffer to drill my rock ao it can be dissambled when upgrading or moving. Don't forget to use some live rock for beneficial sponges and microbial stuff.

Thanks for the feedback - I'll continue with trying to cement over the top of what I've got and hope I do it a bit more securely this time.
As for Live rock, good advice I'll look to get some once I actually get my tank (still in transit) to put in my sump. Thank you!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back