Replace trim with glass braces?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pbauec
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

pbauec

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 31, 2015
Messages
57
Reaction score
25
Location
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90g trim is damaged at the center brace and would prefer to see the trim gone than replace it. If i were to add 1/2" x 4" glass braces at the center and the sides would that compensate for the lost structure? Or should I look into a full eurobrace? And should they be mounted on the inside or top of the side glass? What is the strongest reef safe silicon available?
 
Yea, you could do that with no issues. You can mount the new glass on top of the exsisting tank.
GE I Silicone
Aquarium Silicone
 
I've never done this replacement, but can comment on the type of silicone you need to use. I would recommend using an RTV silicone over something like GE Silicone I. The reason is the RTV's have greater adhesive properties, and that's what you want when doing euro-bracing (or building a large tank.) GE Silicone I works great for installing baffles in a sump, or building a small tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new