Replaced bad Led & now the strip blinks

Sense of nature

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2013
Messages
126
Reaction score
34
Location
Bartlett IL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched & came up empty
I just replaced 2 bad violet led's due to a fan dying & they overheated( I'm presuming )
Soldered the connections, & everything was fine for about 10 min, Now the entire strip blinks ? I double checked connections,all are good I have 2 drivers, swapped those w/ the white Led driver( which doesn't blink) & the violets still blink.
Any input would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Robert
 
The more common Violet LEDs have a Higher max VF than the Cree or Luxion LEDs.

A blinking series is commonly caused by a constant current driver defaulting to its safe mode when the total Vf does not match its designed Vf range.

What type of driver and how many and what type of Violet do you have in series.

Bill
 
The more common Violet LEDs have a Higher max VF than the Cree or Luxion LEDs.

A blinking series is commonly caused by a constant current driver defaulting to its safe mode when the total Vf does not match its designed Vf range.

What type of driver and how many and what type of Violet do you have in series.

Bill
Thanks for replying, I bought it used , so the only info I have is the drivers r meanwell 60-48
the leds I repl w are these : True Violet LED
Thanks
Robert
 
Thanks for replying, I bought it used , so the only info I have is the drivers r meanwell 60-48
the leds I repl w are these : True Violet LED
Thanks
Robert

The blinking is typical with the Mean Well 60-48 when an under voltage exists.

If your LEDs are the more common P2N-U you should be able to drive 9-10 without a problem...

Yes this is a narrow range but these are not Cree or Luxion and the Vf Varies greatly

http://www.semileds.com/system/files/P2N-U.pdf

Bill
 
What causes an under voltage? Miss matched Led's?
Should I just replace all of the violets w/ the same brand, would that help?
Thank you
 
What causes an under voltage? Miss matched Led's?
Should I just replace all of the violets w/ the same brand, would that help?
Thank you

The brand should be the same.

Not a lot of suppliers providing 410-420nm LEDs to Reef Hobbyist.

If you have SPS the Violet does help with some pigments on looks.

That said the 450nm XT-E Royal Blue is much brighter and better for growth given its intensity.

Toss us a pic of the problem and we can better diagnose. Without a Pic or conformation on the exact LED its hard to help.

Bill
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new