Replacing 3/4 return with 1 or 1 1/4 inch

  • Thread starter Thread starter reely989
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reely989

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2022
Messages
343
Reaction score
234
Location
Auburn
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got a 300 gallon planet aquarium mega matrix tank and it's plumbed for 3/4 return. Should have been something I thought about, but obviously didn't at the time. I'm currently running 2 sicce adv 5.5 for returns and they seem fine. I would like some DC pumps to be able to hook up to my kraken, however. I'm looking at getting a couple of varios 6 pumps. While I'm making this change I had thought about bypassing the internal returns completely and going with 1" or 1 1/4" return lines up the back of my tank and elbowed over into the display. Has anyone else done this? Am I trying too hard to solve a problem I don't really have by doing this?
 
So, I got a 300 gallon planet aquarium mega matrix tank and it's plumbed for 3/4 return. Should have been something I thought about, but obviously didn't at the time. I'm currently running 2 sicce adv 5.5 for returns and they seem fine. I would like some DC pumps to be able to hook up to my kraken, however. I'm looking at getting a couple of varios 6 pumps. While I'm making this change I had thought about bypassing the internal returns completely and going with 1" or 1 1/4" return lines up the back of my tank and elbowed over into the display. Has anyone else done this? Am I trying too hard to solve a problem I don't really have by doing this?
This idea would fit well with two Seaswirls to replace those useless elbows and create an interesting current flow in the tank.
https://sea-swirl.com/
 
This idea would fit well with two Seaswirls to replace those useless elbows and create an interesting current flow in the tank.
https://sea-swirl.com/

This is interesting. Do you have any experience with these? I'm not opposed, but that turns an already expensive change into a really expensive change, ha. I have 4 Nero 7s for flow inside the tank, so the return rate is more for turnover than actual current.
 
This is interesting. Do you have any experience with these? I'm not opposed, but that turns an already expensive change into a really expensive change, ha. I have 4 Nero 7s for flow inside the tank, so the return rate is more for turnover than actual current.
Sorry for the late reply, and sadly I have not owned a sea swirl but I have wondered myself. Reviews have indicated that they have a long service life and provide excellent water motion.
Did you get crazy with the money and get one or two?:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I am hoping you did so I can get another report before I spring for one.:cool::rolleyes:

I also saw a post where someone had done a DIY using an oscillating fan motor.
That project isn't something I would do because I have a fear of electrocution.

Jack Nicholson Hair GIF by MOODMAN
:cool:
 
Sorry for the late reply, and sadly I have not owned a sea swirl but I have wondered myself. Reviews have indicated that they have a long service life and provide excellent water motion.
Did you get crazy with the money and get one or two?:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I am hoping you did so I can get another report before I spring for one.:cool::rolleyes:

I also saw a post where someone had done a DIY using an oscillating fan motor.
That project isn't something I would do because I have a fear of electrocution.

Jack Nicholson Hair GIF by MOODMAN
:cool:

Lol no I didn't unfortunately! I just replumbed with 1" line. Those things do look cool though. I have a lot of flow already so I just couldn't justify the cost... Yet
 
Lol no I didn't unfortunately! I just replumbed with 1" line. Those things do look cool though. I have a lot of flow already so I just couldn't justify the cost... Yet
Cost has always prevented me from getting one, for many many years. :confused-face:
 
So, I got a 300 gallon planet aquarium mega matrix tank and it's plumbed for 3/4 return. Should have been something I thought about, but obviously didn't at the time. I'm currently running 2 sicce adv 5.5 for returns and they seem fine. I would like some DC pumps to be able to hook up to my kraken, however. I'm looking at getting a couple of varios 6 pumps. While I'm making this change I had thought about bypassing the internal returns completely and going with 1" or 1 1/4" return lines up the back of my tank and elbowed over into the display. Has anyone else done this? Am I trying too hard to solve a problem I don't really have by doing this?

You should stick to what is the nominal output size of the return pump you're using.

DC pumps' output goes down dramatically when "choked"
 
You should stick to what is the nominal output size of the return pump you're using.

DC pumps' output goes down dramatically when "choked"

Yeah I'm using a couple of Sicce sdc 7.0 and the 1" seemed to make a big difference. Lots more turnover
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new