Replacing gfo daily?

  • Thread starter Thread starter slythy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

slythy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2021
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
906
Location
USA
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I let my phosphates get high (0.50+) in my 280 gallon system. I have been using about 7-9 tbsp of rowaphos in a reactor to bring it down but it seems like i get a drop every 24 hours then it plateaus. Is this about the expected life out of the rowaphos?

I assume my rocks are 90% phosphates at this point lol.

Thanks
 
In my experience, rowaphos does plateau in the first few days, but then it continues to do it's work. I service aquariums for a career and make it a habit to switch out rowaphos every third week of a month. That's usually the time frame I've seen where a rowaphos does has fully run it's course
 
The depletion rate of GFO depends on how high the phosphate is and how rapidly new water is brought to it. It may well deplete in 24 h at phosphate > 0.5 ppm.

You can measure the phosphate in the outflow from it to verify.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new