Replacing Integrated Automatic Top-Off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Ordered a Reefer 750 XXL which comes with an integrated automatic top-off. The RO chamber (7.5 gal) sits on top of the sump on rails and uses gravity and a float valve to top off the sump.

I'm concerned with only having the float valve. I want to purchase the Neptune Systems Automatic Top-Off Kit. Has anyone replaced it with a 3rd party ATO kit? If yes, were you able to use the same RO chamber? The RO chamber sits above the sump, not sure how a 3rd party ATO kit will work unless the RO comes from somewhere else.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi Guys,

Ordered a Reefer 750 XXL which comes with an integrated automatic top-off. The RO chamber (7.5 gal) sits on top of the sump on rails and uses gravity and a float valve to top off the sump.

I'm concerned with only having the float valve. I want to purchase the Neptune Systems Automatic Top-Off Kit. Has anyone replaced it with a 3rd party ATO kit? If yes, were you able to use the same RO chamber? The RO chamber sits above the sump, not sure how a 3rd party ATO kit will work unless the RO comes from somewhere else.
Alot of people that use a 3rd party or ato, ditch the small ro chamber. Im buying the apex top off soon, was planning on using a seperate rodi holding tank.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of people that use a 3rd party or ato, ditch the small ro chamber. Im buying the apex top off soon, was planning on using a seperate rodi holding tank.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'll rather buy a 20-30 gallon RO/DI holding tank and have it by the aquarium.

I do have 55 gallon saltwater mixing station in the garage, but too far and too many walls to use it directly.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as you. I'll rather buy a 20-30 gallon RO/DI holding tank and have it by the aquarium.

I do have 55 gallon saltwater mixing station in the garage, but too far and too many walls to use it directly.
Just an fyi
I have a 2013 S 400 and the float valve has not failed my reef yet but I do clean it from time to time.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I do not have a reefer series tank I use a float valve and gravity never had a problem plus it is free.

I do find it funny that u don't trust this method but trust a mechanical ato which if you search has caused many of people problems.(not saying the Neptune one but just in general)

But I will be upgrading to the Neptune ato as well. And can't wait

I also recomend u use another type of rodi holding container if your going to get an ato make it twenty gallons instead of the 7.5 gallons it comes with

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I do not have a reefer series tank I use a float valve and gravity never had a problem plus it is free.

I do find it funny that u don't trust this method but trust a mechanical ato which if you search has caused many of people problems.(not saying the Neptune one but just in general)

But I will be upgrading to the Neptune ato as well. And can't wait

I also recomend u use another type of rodi holding container if your going to get an ato make it twenty gallons instead of the 7.5 gallons it comes with

Should of been more clear. That it is only one method.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be doing the same. 7.5g may last 3-4 days.

I've been looking around for a reasonable container but some places are pretty proud of their work.

Any suggestions on a builder?

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be doing the same. 7.5g may last 3-4 days.

I've been looking around for a reasonable container but some places are pretty proud of their work.

Any suggestions on a builder?

I'm looking also. I'm fortunate that behind the tank is my office where I can put a 30 gallon horizontal tank. Something like that still costs over a $100.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reefer 525xl and the apex atk. Bought a customs acrylic white 20 gallon container that looks really nice. Can barely see it the way it's positioned in my living room. BEST purchase I ever made. Had the float not work atleast 4 times. Granted I should of put it on a mx program. Before had to fill RO every 2 days. Very annoying, now 10 days!!

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the gravity/float combo on my 180. I like it better than the more complex and expensive options, so far.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back