Replacing rock work - established tank

Idal sarduy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little background on my tank.
Biocube 29 bare bottom established for over two years. 2 clowns , bicolor blenny, purple firefish, 2 turbo snails, 1 emerald crab (won't touch bubble algae), red fire shrimp.

Various lps and hardy sps everything growing and looks good. I change my water weekly 5g of aqua forest reef salt. I dose reef fusion 1 and 2 daily and mag when needed. Rod carbon changed approx every 10 days. Brs gfo as needed. Tunze 9001 (changing for al115 or an hob skimmer)

Alk 8-9
Cal 420
Mag 1300-1350

I hate my current rock work I also have some bubble algae along with some red mushrooms that spread off my back wall. My back wall is nearly covered in them.

I'd like to completely re-do my rock work. My plan is to order 25lbs of brs dry Fiji rock (more than likely won't use all 25lbs). I plan on curing the rock for atleast one month.

My dilemma is I'm not sure if I could replace all my rock at once and it not affect my tank negatively. I don't wanna add any of my current rock to the current process because I'm afraid of introducing bubble algae to the new rock work. I'd like to not switch it out slowly to not cross contaminate the new rock with bubble algae.

I'm thinking of adding as many marine pure blocks into my chamber 2 (cut to size) and waiting two to three months so they become established. Then making the switch. Any opinions to what I should do. Thanks in advance.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have a little ugly phase. It's just like a fresh build.
You could soak the old rock in some old tank water and peroxide and kill the algaes etc and use it. I think it would reduce the amount of ugly. But you will likely still get some.
I personally would avoid putting anything in the back. It's just a detritus trap. The rock should be more than adequate for biofiltration imo.

OP
OP
I

Idal sarduy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely one of my concerns with the marine pure blocks in the rear , could be more harm than good in my particular situation

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely one of my concerns with the marine pure blocks in the rear , could be more harm than good in my particular situation
I put in rubble and chato in my jbj cube and it was always nasty.

Back