Replacing your DI resin in three quick steps! | BRStv How-To

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Here's a quick one for you this week on our new series BRStv How-To. In today's episode, I show you some quick steps to refill your DI resin as well as give you a couple helpful tips that I use to get the tightest pack as possible!

Thanks!

James Kanouff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job. Awesome to see you at the RAP orlando show. I want to make a suggestion. I'd love to know more about mixed bed only resin stages VS specialty mixes to be placed ahead of your existing DI resin final cartridge, to increase the life of your downstream DI cartridge. I run a specialty ahead of two stages of normal di resin and suspect i get much more life. But i don't know what there made of and i have never ran a side by side comparison. Should be an easy test. Side by side see which one hits 1 TDS first. maybe even a savings over the life info as well. I make alot of RODI. its a good place to save money for most hobbiest i think if these specialty carriages target what consumes most of our users DI for less over all cost. a specific unnamed competitor claims some of the following from such custom blended cartridges - 4 times the removal efficiency of conventional Mixed-Bed and Hi-Silica cartridges - Designed to be used in front of a Mixed-Bed or Silica Buster DI cartridge - Removes most ionized impurities - Removes ammonia that is left by water sources that contain chloramines.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job. Awesome to see you at the RAP orlando show. I want to make a suggestion. I'd love to know more about mixed bed only resin stages VS specialty mixes to be placed ahead of your existing DI resin final cartridge, to increase the life of your downstream DI cartridge. I run a specialty ahead of two stages of normal di resin and suspect i get much more life. But i don't know what there made of and i have never ran a side by side comparison. Should be an easy test. Side by side see which one hits 1 TDS first. maybe even a savings over the life info as well. I make alot of RODI. its a good place to save money for most hobbiest i think if these specialty carriages target what consumes most of our users DI for less over all cost. a specific unnamed competitor claims some of the following from such custom blended cartridges - 4 times the removal efficiency of conventional Mixed-Bed and Hi-Silica cartridges - Designed to be used in front of a Mixed-Bed or Silica Buster DI cartridge - Removes most ionized impurities - Removes ammonia that is left by water sources that contain chloramines.

Funny you should mention DI resin testing! It's actually something that we have been testing pretty thoroughly. Not sure when or what will come out of it, but I wouldn't doubt that Ryan has something lined up! :)

-Randy

James Kanouff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know alot of it is based on whats in your water to begin with, but a simplification of the main issues folks face and how to better address them specifically with more than just plain DI resin I think is needed/ valuable. I knew you guy were on it.. All great topics keep up the great work.

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Here's a quick one for you this week on our new series BRStv How-To. In today's episode, I show you some quick steps to refill your DI resin as well as give you a couple helpful tips that I use to get the tightest pack as possible!

Thanks!

Thanx for the info @Bulk Reef Supply , @randyBRS i shared this info with our other club members

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! A few people recommended one of these as well. I'll definitely have to try it out! :)

-Randy

I use it to help refill all my BRS refillable cartridges. The bottom of the funnel also is a useful guid to ensure I don't overfill and have to remove material.

PlanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a BRS 6-stage. Just changed out Sediment, 2-Carbon blocks, and both resin tubes. Is there a reason that the TDS meter would have readings lower (2 ppm) when leaving the RO membranes, and then jump to 5-6 ppm after the first DI chamber? FWIW, after the last DI its at 0 ppm, so it may not be an issue, I just thought it odd that the readings would go up after the first DI. Is this because of the TDS meter it not that great/accurate? Or does the new DI need to be flushed for more than 20 minutes?

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DI shouldn't need much flushing; certainly 20min should be enough if flushing is going to have any effect.
How tightly is the DI packed in the first chamber? I honestly can't think of any reason that the tightness of the packing would cause it to increase the TDS, but that's about the only variable I can think of...
Have you tried switching the DI chambers around? Eg; put the second one first, first one second, then retest. If the mid-stage TDS is 0 but the outgoing is >0, then I'd think that would "prove" that you have some bad DI. If it still acts as it currently does, then the problem isn't in the DI itself (perhaps something in the jump between or the like?). If everything works good (0 mid and 0 out), then I guess the problem is solved? :-|

PlanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DI shouldn't need much flushing; certainly 20min should be enough if flushing is going to have any effect.
How tightly is the DI packed in the first chamber? I honestly can't think of any reason that the tightness of the packing would cause it to increase the TDS, but that's about the only variable I can think of...
Have you tried switching the DI chambers around? Eg; put the second one first, first one second, then retest. If the mid-stage TDS is 0 but the outgoing is >0, then I'd think that would "prove" that you have some bad DI. If it still acts as it currently does, then the problem isn't in the DI itself (perhaps something in the jump between or the like?). If everything works good (0 mid and 0 out), then I guess the problem is solved? :-|
Good Idea. I am doing the Anion single bed in the first, and a Mixed bed in the second, can they be reversed without adverse effects? I am following one of the BRS video custom DI resin setups, so I'm not sure I can swap them.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think they could be reversed (the water flows through it all eventually), but I don't know that for 100%. Anion removes negative charges; mixed removes both negative and cations. So the current setup removes negatives, then removes more negatives as well as cations. Swapping them would remove both, then any leftover negatives... Should work?

Has the anion resin been recharged already? Or is it new?

(BTW - for others; here's the video being referred to.)

Last edited:

PlanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the anion resin been recharged already? Or is it new?

Its new. Just filled them both today. I hear ya, I will give that a shot, at least just for a short time to see what happens with the meter. But the single bed, I believe, is supposed to filter all the really bad crap first, then be polished in the mixed bed. At least that's what I was led to understand. :cool:

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah; I just re-watched the video again. Not sure that swapping them solves anything for you - it's not really a viable long-term solution..

Might want to repost this here; the thread for the video in question...?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other.

Back