Resealed Tank Leaking

Luxorth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so story time... Few months ago I bought a 32 gallon AIO biocube from Marketplace (Tank is on my page). I know I know "used" tanks are risky, learned my lesson first time around. When I originally began setting the tank up and filling it to begin the cycle, it noticed it began leaking from the top braces, and from the bottom. So my rookie self decided to "bandaid" the issue by sealing the bottom from the outside...don't ask my logic there wasn't much, learning still..

Anyways, after doing this about 5 times (emptying some of the water to make it lighter and sealing the outside) I realized it clearly was a silly hopeful idea. So after my many struggles there, I decided to empty everything out and start from scratch, removed all of the water, sand and rocks, and resealed it in what I thought was the proper way (sealed all glass connections, and let cure for 72 hours). I slowly refilled the tank over a few days monitoring for leaks, after about 5 days of slowly filling I got it full and completely put back together. I began the cycle...and boom we are good, for about a month of cycling.

Now to my issue...I finally got my first fish last week, extremely excited to see my little Ocellaris Clown swimming around and getting used to his new home. Naturally, as things were finally going my way...I noticed leaks all over the place this morning. Mostly from the bottom, a few from the top braces.

My main questions are as follows:

- From your experience, should I cut sling load and just buy a brand new tank?
- If I buy a new tank, what would be the best way to ensure my little guy is safe during the transition
- Any recommendations for where to find reasonably prices AIO tanks? (willing to run a sump or canister with regular tank)
- Where do you typically look for stands what will support the weight of a tank if not an AIO setup with stand?

TIA

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AiO tanks are always going to be more expensive than just buying a regular tank. Paying for the brand name attached to it in most cases.

Cheap regular tanks can be found at big box stores like petco for the cheapest option.

When it comes to resealing, the entire tank needs to be taken apart and all silicone removed, before any is added.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When a tank is leaking from side seams or bottom seams there is really only one way to fix it permanently and that is to take it apart completely. Clean up all the edges and put it back together with a good quality silicone.
Once the seal between the panes of glass is broken, there really isn't anything you can do about it.
Time to buy a new tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back