Resealing a Crystal Dynamic 100 gallon

Cash Strapped Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2022
Messages
59
Reaction score
46
Location
Dinuba, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up an eight-year-old Crystal Dynamic 100 gallon tank for free. The owner said that he thought it was starting to leak, and if you Google Crystal Dynamic Aquariums you can see that their leak problem was starting to rival Red Sea, but on a smaller scale.
I've done a surface reseal of my 120, so it's not an issue, but wondering how deep I need to go?

The tank is sitting in my garage full of water and I'm not seeing any evidence of a leak. They only use silicone in the actual seams. There is zero spread inside along the glass. To me this seems like a bad idea. I was originally thinking about breaking the pieces apart, cleaning, and resealing. Now I'm thinking that the quality of the factory injected silicone will be better than what I can do with a caulking gun. What I don't want to do is take something that is actually solid, redoing it, and making it weaker.

So my thought is to go with my original plan of cleaning it with acetone, then doing a complete interior reseal. I also plan on adding euro bracing to the bottom inside with standard surface silicone. Maybe also adding some exterior corner protection siliconed on.

The tank has some sort of hard mat attached to the bottom. Is this removable so I can inspect the seams there and reattach?

Here's the tank.
Crystal Dynamic Project
 
The bottom would likely be starboard which is typically just held on with silicone. You should be able to undo it but I wouldn't count on saving the starboard.

Its hard to say if you'll make it weaker or not, but technically with the right there should be no reason why you couldn't make it just as strong as from the factory. Its a tough job but doable with the right knowhow. The biggest issue is that new silicone does not stick to old silicone. This is why a reseal job really should be a rebuild job if you wanted to do it correctly. Once you pull the panels apart you need to make sure you get ALL the silicone off and clean the panels of all silicone residue to ensure proper bonding with the glass.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new