Research before new thread?

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon fellow reefers,

This may end up being more of a rant, but I'm trying for it not to be and I am also not trying to offend anyone.

While the help from this community is overwhelming, it seems that we have created a habit of starting a new thread rather than doing an easy search on topics that are already heavily discussed within this forum. It's great that several people step up and answer the same questions on a daily basis, but at what point do we kindly ask members (new or old) to search the forum or direct them to a thread that can assist them?

I say this, because like many others, I update my build thread and often ask for people's opinions. But by the time I write my post, actually post and refresh the forum, the latest topics have already pushed mine off the list. So unless someone goes to "Build Thread Updates," I rarely get any reply. And this could be because my build thread sucks lol, but I feel like we kind of feed into the easy button. Sure I could post elsewhere, but thought I'd see if I'm the only one noticing this. Either way, I don't think there is a way to stop the threads from happening, but maybe a few people will read this and say, you know maybe I'll try to find the answer before asking the same question.

Maybe I'm just a big jerk lol

And that is all. Happy Reefing to all!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon fellow reefers,

This may end up being more of a rant, but I'm trying for it not to be and I am also not trying to offend anyone.

While the help from this community is overwhelming, it seems that we have created a habit of starting a new thread rather than doing an easy search on topics that are already heavily discussed within this forum. It's great that several people step up and answer the same questions on a daily basis, but at what point do we kindly ask members (new or old) to search the forum or direct them to a thread that can assist them?

I say this, because like many others, I update my build thread and often ask for people's opinions. But by the time I write my post, actually post and refresh the forum, the latest topics have already pushed mine off the list. So unless someone goes to "Build Thread Updates," I rarely get any reply. And this could be because my build thread sucks lol, but I feel like we kind of feed into the easy button. Sure I could post elsewhere, but thought I'd see if I'm the only one noticing this. Either way, I don't think there is a way to stop the threads from happening, but maybe a few people will read this and say, you know maybe I'll try to find the answer before asking the same question.

Maybe I'm just a big jerk lol

And that is all. Happy Reefing to all!

I agree with you 100%. People seem to be too lazy or just don't know how to do a proper search. I sometimes wonder if it is so many are coming from the "social media" world where it is hard to actually find what you are wanting to find.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back