Reset real-reef rock (used)

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i bought a 200 gal tank that has a buck of real reef dyed rock.
It's covered in bubble algae and likely has ich. They are currently in two brute trash cans.

I want to reset the rock without stripping the purple color off. I don't care about the bacteria.

I have read muriatic/hydrochloric acid works well, but I'm afraid it may be too aggressive on the dye (?). I've heard bleach has similar issues. But leaving them in tap water for an extended period may not get the algae off? Really want to avoid scrubbing it off with a brush...

Suggestions from anyone with this particular circumstance?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is real live rock, the purple is algea not dye. Regardless, I would be more concerned with preserving the bacteria/ microfauna while removing/killing any pests. Bubble algea will disappear if manually removed while kept fallow(since you're concerned of ich), in dark with flow. Maybe even feed the rocks/pods occasionally during this time. This will likely cause a loss of purple(coraline algea), but it will come back, meanwhile preserving the value of this "real reef rock"

frydaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he’s referring to the brand of dry rock called real reef rock that was previously in a tank

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh :-/ if that's the case, there's much less incentive to preserve the rock. But should still consider how long the rocks were ran in tank, how much microfauna is in rocks, how overrun with pest... if it relatively new, with no "bugs" and plenty pests then nuke it. But coraline won't survive. Idk about the dyed purple color. Maybe bleach won't strip the paint off

OP
OP
I

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, real reef brand rock, has purple dye to simulate coralline.

I'll probably start with tap water, observe for a week, and increase measures from there.

Without the color, it's basically marco rock

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back