REAL REEF BRANCHING ROCK

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have a fully scaped tank with branching Real Reef? Trying to gauge how many pounds I need to buy to scape a stand dimension 75 gallon tank like this picture… pretty sure the pic is a 120+ but have no actual idea. I’m “guessing” I’ll need 2 of the 30 lbs boxes but want to make sure since it’s expensive. Thanks.

IMG_5651.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked on line and I think your estimate may be just about right for weight/area, but I have not used the product Real Reef before but I have seen it in stores.

Here's a free pitch of Eric Cohen's Austrailian live rock, in case you want to go a different route?

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked on line and I think your estimate may be just about right for weight/area, but I have not used the product Real Reef before but I have seen it in stores.

Here's a free pitch of Eric Cohen's Austrailian live rock, in case you want to go a different route?

Thanks I’ll scope that out for sure !

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think 2 boxes imo. I'm working with Tonga right now and I think the shapes are better with more rock.

specsgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ANNDD the shameless plug continues... The Aussie like rock is AMAZEBALLS!!! I ordered 15 pounds for my tank and was shook at how lightweight and porous it was compared to the old "iron weight" tonga branch of the days gone by. In fact I LOVE the Australian rock so much I just ordered another 5 pounds for my sump in "rubble" size pieces.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Does anybody have a fully scaped tank with branching Real Reef? Trying to gauge how many pounds I need to buy to scape a stand dimension 75 gallon tank like this picture… pretty sure the pic is a 120+ but have no actual idea. I’m “guessing” I’ll need 2 of the 30 lbs boxes but want to make sure since it’s expensive. Thanks.
Having used "Real Reef" rock a couple times, I think you should order maybe 10%-15% more that you plan to use. Both times I've ordered it online the breakage was pretty high. With 200+ lbs I got maybe 30lbs of rubble ( breakage).
Maybe they wrap the branch stuff ( in wet paper) different or pack it differently, but I was not real happy.
Overall I am happy with the total results, just seemed like the amount of rubble was high.

I almost wish I was starting up a new tank, I would really like to see some of that Australian rock first hand.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you are doing a Fish only and depending on rock for complet scape yes get a few boxes if it is going to be a coral tank go light so you will have room for growth.
I really like this rock and have used it in the past. Also you may want to look into Morroca branch rock. I bought some for my scape and it has some really cool shapes is light and easy to work with to the point I have many pieces leftover.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back