Can I change out my rocks??

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 112 gallon reef tank it’s 88gal display tank and it’s about 3ish years old a little less. When I first built the tank I did not account for fish hiding space and I overestimated the amount I needed to save for coral growth on the top. So I build the rock scape very small and with no hiding spots for fish. I am wanting to remove half the scape and replace it with a totally brand new dryrock structure that is taller and has much more hiding spots. Then do the same with the other half a few months later. What are your thoughts? Would this be fine to do. Also ps I have lots of bio media in the sump like pounds and pounds and I have a reefmat for filtration and a large redsea skimmer and a phosphate reactor I’m not currently using.
IMG_1272.png

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 112 gallon reef tank it’s 88gal display tank and it’s about 3ish years old a little less. When I first built the tank I did not account for fish hiding space and I overestimated the amount I needed to save for coral growth on the top. So I build the rock scape very small and with no hiding spots for fish. I am wanting to remove half the scape and replace it with a totally brand new dryrock structure that is taller and has much more hiding spots. Then do the same with the other half a few months later. What are your thoughts? Would this be fine to do. Also ps I have lots of bio media in the sump like pounds and pounds and I have a reefmat for filtration and a large redsea skimmer and a phosphate reactor I’m not currently using.
You shouldn't have any problem doing this. As long as you do half at a time and space it out over a couple months. The only down side is that your rocks will go through the uglies all over again.

I would consider ocean direct live rock as a consideration against dry rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back