Residue in water mixing bin

  • Thread starter Thread starter Acronuts
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Acronuts

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
890
Reaction score
96
Location
Davenport,Orlando Fl. Area
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,

I recently started noticing a sandy colored residue in the bin that I use for mixing my saltwater. I use reef crystals. I have never seen this residue before. This last water change I noticed it when the salt was mixed in and sat over night with a power head for circulation. Next time I will check and see if the residue is there before I add the salt.
Have you guys noticed this as well?
My lfs indicated that it was ok and they get it as well. Something to do with minerals?
Anyhow I thought it might be my resins in my RO but they are only 3 months old.
Just wondering........
 
I get that too from RC and oceanic salt. I always thought it was just a minor diatom bloom in the mixing container, but I could be wrong.
 
Actually I was told that it is a calcium carbonate precipitation. There should be no declines in Ca,Mg or Alk levels with the fresh mix. Just clean out the mixing container and you will be ready to mix for next time. Also something else to try is to airate and vigorusly mix the salt in a larger volume of water than a smaller amount of RO water.
There are mixes of salt that are less prone to this from hapeing like TM.
RC is big on this and some others.
 
I had this when I first started using my new container, but no problems now, I fiuured it was something leaching out of my new rubbermaid containter.
 
No not your container. My lfs has the same issue and they have no ill effects. On another forum they indicated that it was simply a precipitation of CaCo3.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new