Restart with existing live rock

George Clackum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an existing tank that I lost the main pump. I’ve given away all the fish and coral that survived. The tank is heavily infested with aptasia and green bubble algae. I would like to reuse the live rock but want to clean all unwanted pest, algae, etc.
what do I do? Bleach, vinager, muratic or other. I plan on replacing all of my sand

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10% bleach solution. Rinse then fully dry and you are ready to go.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How aboht fix them without uncycling them

how about we kill only the bad parts, keep the good

nuke isn’t required to beat aiptasia, we use flathead screwdrivers for that

in shop they taught me to use the right tool for the job, if we do that to your rocks/ keep the cycle lose the targets. These same challenges are coming in v2 anyway, this gives real world control practice

neither of those invasions ruins the rock I have fix threads plenty

this plan above trades anemones for dinos.

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above plan to reuse the live rock without bleaching it. I just took rock from my little fluval 13.5 and put it into a bare bottom 20 long for a coral quarantine setup. I had bad bryopsis and knocked it out with fluconazole in about 1.5 weeks. Eventually I will use it to seed other tanks but for now it was very valuable already being cycled.

I opted to start my next display with new dry rock because my new display got a new aquascape and I decided I needed to start the coral QT before any serious pests or problems pop up as my display tank grows to a 40breeder.

I say plop the used rock into a 20 gallon tank and practice fighting off the aptasia and bubble algae and any other nuisance algae. It IS possible if you are willing to fight. And just keep it running as a coral QT, you will be glad you did

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back