Using caribe sea live rock

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it mess up the water chemistry in my aquarium if I replace some of my rock with the caribe sea live rock ?
I initially used old rock that I bleached and I feel like it causes issues with my water. My aquarium is over 3 years old and I just feel like it would do better if I removed the old used rocks and replaced them with the caribe sea rock
Any reason I shouldn’t or things I should watch for ?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll be fine if you add the rock for a couple days then pull your old stuff out as it would seed it… before we get into all that, what makes you think your current rock is messing up your tank?

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll be fine if you add the rock for a couple days then pull your old stuff out as it would seed it… before we get into all that, what makes you think your current rock is messing up your tank?

I’ve just never had this much trouble growing and keeping corals in any of my previous tanks, water parameters are always off regardless of my maintenance, I think it’s odd that I’ve never had bristle worms considerering the age of my tank.
I also recently went through an algae bloom and I’d rather toss the rock and start over
I also bought the tank and rock used and even though I bleached the rock before using it I don’t know if it was real live rock at some point or artificial.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What parameters are off? Bristle worms are a sign of over feeding honestly… there’s a lot of silica in caribsea reef rocks if I remember correctly so be ready for a diatom bloom if you chose that route.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life rock is no different than the bleached dry rock you used, it's just purple. If you want the benefits of real liverock you need to buy real ocean rock.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What size tank, and what livestock? You might be able to swap most of it at once.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excess bristleworms, sure. The existence of bristleworms, not so much- that just means bristleworms got in somehow.
Yes of course… I’ve only seen 2 in my current tank.. my last tank I bought used had thousands it was crazy!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back