Restarting in Florida

SilverFoxFace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

I recently relocated to the Fort Lauderdale area and unfortunately had to sell off my Red Sea Max 250 setup before leaving my previous home in New Jersey.

I bought the RSM250 used about 3 years ago and restocked it with sand and rock from Tampa Bay (a mistake for a beginner.) 4 months up and running and one day the DT suddenly cracked and spilled out half its water. I had to quickly bring all my livestock to a LFS to save them.

Not willing to give up, I purchased a new DT from Red Sea and reused all the other components. Again I stocked it from Tampa Bay, but at this point they were going through an ownership change and they screwed me out of half my order. Over time I added fish and corals from both LFSs and some of the big web stores. Eventually it was running successfully and the corals showed good growth. Especially a Hollywood Stunner chalice that almost took over my tank, and a BTA from Reefapalooza that eventually became 7 BTAs. I spent many a night searching answers to unforeseen problems on R2R so I'm grateful for this resource.

Now that I am settled in my new home I'm about to take the plunge and purchase a RS Reefer 350 (or maybe an XL425).
I've attached a few photos of my former aquarium. This time around I hope I've learned enough to avoid some of the mistakes.

Thanks for listening, and I look forward to reading about everyone's adventures here.

David

59535857532__4A061235-6CF9-4C0D-BE77-A01958CB58C4.JPG
IMG_0036.jpeg
IMG_0039.jpeg

IMG_1087.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like my chalice !
Im on countdown to Florida and almost at 13 months and counting !!

welcome20.jpg

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wellcome to the forum and to south Florida, Im local (Miramar). Go for the 425XL, your not going to regret getting this one (I have one). Stop by to The Aquarium King, local store close to you with nice selection of corals and fish. Once your ready for corals, shoot me a PM as I always have frags around to help you stock your new tank back again.

Regards.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back