Restarting kalkwasser?

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Joined
Jun 12, 2009
Messages
1,315
Reaction score
822
Location
MA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using kalkwasser for a while now with a stirring reactor. I fill it every 3-6 weeks depending on when the pH probe value drops.

I was curious when or if I should ever empty out all the old kalkwasser and restart it with 100% fresh kalkwasser powder?
 
Well, it’s hard to give a time, but eventually much of what is present is undissolvable calcium carbonate, magnesium hydroxide and other materials.

If you still can maintain alk in the tank, it’s likely fine. If that becomes a problem, cleaning out the solids seems prudent. :)
 
Well, it’s hard to give a time, but eventually much of what is present is undissolvable calcium carbonate, magnesium hydroxide and other materials.

If you still can maintain alk in the tank, it’s likely fine. If that becomes a problem, cleaning out the solids seems prudent. :)
Thank you sir! So far alkalinity is fine and it's only been around 6 months at this point...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new