Rethinking the "Fish Only" aquarium in the "Postmodern Era"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there Scott. Nice article. I not only remember those days in the 70s where we used UG filters, I never took mine out and that tank is still running. I live (and dive) in New York so I run a New York garbage dump based biotope replete with cans, bottles and chains.

Paul, your tank has always been one of my faves...Love the longevity, the environmental message..the "soul"- .everything! Thanks for sharing!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about a FOWLR, I would go with base rock from bulk reef supply . Very open rock aquascape with cultured premium live rock from Florida on top.
It has enough decorative algaes, hitch hiker corals, etc to keep the tank colorful, but not take away from the fish. I like the Florida Keys biotope idea. Jawfish, basslets, angelfish....
Lots of water changes and a refugium. Macro algaes in the display. That would be cool

Yes it would!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like: Aquarium Design Group custom aquarium design installation and service in Houston Texas approach to FOWLR. Checkout portfolios -> decorative saltwater. Good quality artificial coral, 3-4 colors, and no liverock. I would add fish that don't blend in with the colors of the decoration coral.

I love the guys at ADG...Jeff and Mike and their crew are just on a mother level in the aquascaping game...Their "Vibe" videos inspire me like nothing else...I encourage everyone to check their work out!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's hundreds of hitchhikers, but here's some more that stand out.

I've got two of these urchins.

Bunches of these - they reproduce in there.

Thanks for sharing!

That's what it's all about! Just plain fun and really suited for both the livestock and the hobbyist who owns it!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the urchins (I used to have an urchin collection business) I have a couple in my tank for longer than I can remember. I ordered a few shrimpfish from my LFS and hope to get them this week as they go well with urchins. I only like unusual creatures.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back