Retrofit Lights for Coralife Biocube 32g

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering upgrading my lights (or putting them on my Christmas list LOL). I'm looking for a comparison between Steve's LEDs and Nanobox Retrofit kit (the large kit). I reviewed installation videos/gifs for both of these which opened up a couple of questions. Price on the Nanobox are better and they include the wifi controller. It doesn't look like there's much sitting outside the tank as compared to Steve's. It looks like Steve's, with the same controller, would be $150 more. It also appears there are two units that sit outside the aquarium - the controller, and the power supply/voltage selector. The nanobox seems to not use a fan for cooling (you have to remove the stock fan) while Steve's installs a larger fan than the stock one. Steve's requires that you install a rubber grommet for cable routing and seal it with a sealant. Nanobox doesn't do that. So now I'm wondering - will the nanobox run hot and cause heat issues in the tank? Is it completely waterproof (and therefore didn't need the sealing) and Steve's isn't?

Other pros/cons I haven't thought of? I don't plan on doing SPS in this tank, thought I do have a small monti frag that was a freebie with an order I placed. He seems happy under my current lights which surprises me a bit. But ultimately, my priority is moderate increase in light, big increase in color spectrum from the lights.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My son was 10 when he installed Steve's on his.
IMG_20180902_152728870.jpg

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't really concerned about installing them - both look pretty simple to install. My concern was more around the differences between the two installs. Why is a fan needed for one and not the other? Why is sealant needed for one and not the other? Will I have heat issues with the nanobox without a fan?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is to remove the hood altogether and use any light you like. I have a Kessil A160 over mine.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering upgrading my lights (or putting them on my Christmas list LOL). I'm looking for a comparison between Steve's LEDs and Nanobox Retrofit kit (the large kit). I reviewed installation videos/gifs for both of these which opened up a couple of questions. Price on the Nanobox are better and they include the wifi controller. It doesn't look like there's much sitting outside the tank as compared to Steve's. It looks like Steve's, with the same controller, would be $150 more. It also appears there are two units that sit outside the aquarium - the controller, and the power supply/voltage selector. The nanobox seems to not use a fan for cooling (you have to remove the stock fan) while Steve's installs a larger fan than the stock one. Steve's requires that you install a rubber grommet for cable routing and seal it with a sealant. Nanobox doesn't do that. So now I'm wondering - will the nanobox run hot and cause heat issues in the tank? Is it completely waterproof (and therefore didn't need the sealing) and Steve's isn't?

Other pros/cons I haven't thought of? I don't plan on doing SPS in this tank, thought I do have a small monti frag that was a freebie with an order I placed. He seems happy under my current lights which surprises me a bit. But ultimately, my priority is moderate increase in light, big increase in color spectrum from the lights.

I order plenty of stuff from Steve's. That being said, if the nano box is cheaper, get it. I have seen a bunch of tanks with them on them and they all look great and the control is fantastic. Also, it's easy to upgrade in the future if he updates the board.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an option. Covered tank only due to many cats in the house.

Making a screen top was easy. Just encouraging you to keep your options open. I never looked at the other brand but the Steve's were far too expensive for me

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making a screen top was easy. Just encouraging you to keep your options open. I never looked at the other brand but the Steve's were far too expensive for me
Thanks, but I prefer closed top systems. Even if I didn't have an AIO, I'd have a canopy.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping again for any input. I emailed Nanobox with questions last week but haven't gotten a reply yet.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back