Return Pump gph

  • Thread starter Thread starter ndz98
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 19, 2015
Messages
1,949
Reaction score
1,091
Location
Cookeville
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like around 3-5 times per hour through the sump. Others will say more, but I like it to move nice and slow through the different types of filtration. Keep the high turnover for inside the display.
 
I think most people run 5-10x through the sump. Lower will give more time around the various filtering material. Higher gives more flow in tank. But generally speaking you shouldn't count on the flow from the return anyway. Not sure about brand.
 
If you guys have other brands you would recommend then list them. Any info is great.
 
I assume your running your sump below the tank - so the pump will have to lift the water and still deliver the GPH needed.

The head height will be a good indication of the ability of the pump to deliver flow against a resistance, The head height of the pump you've linked probably won't deliver the flow you'd like as a return pump on a sump. The other thing you need to consider is the GPH of your overflow - You don't want or need a pump which delivers more than the overflow can reliably handle.

10x actual delivery is ideal but 5x or above will do...

In that price range - I've used odyssea pumps which depending on model can be suprisingly good.
http://www.amazon.com/Submersible-Water-Aquarium-Hydroponics-Odyssea/dp/B012BIG7C8 - maybe a bit big
http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-WP500-Water-Pump-p/72011.htm - probably about right.
 
I assume your running your sump below the tank - so the pump will have to lift the water and still deliver the GPH needed.

The head height will be a good indication of the ability of the pump to deliver flow against a resistance, The head height of the pump you've linked probably won't deliver the flow you'd like as a return pump on a sump. The other thing you need to consider is the GPH of your overflow - You don't want or need a pump which delivers more than the overflow can reliably handle.

10x actual delivery is ideal but 5x or above will do...

In that price range - I've used odyssea pumps which depending on model can be suprisingly good.
http://www.amazon.com/Submersible-Water-Aquarium-Hydroponics-Odyssea/dp/B012BIG7C8 - maybe a bit big
http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-WP500-Water-Pump-p/72011.htm - probably about right.
Man that's not a bad price. I might as well go with the first link you sent. only a couple bucks more and more gph. I could probably use it to creat a little more flow in the tank.
 
Yea - but remember - the bigger pump will generate more heat - something your probably not worrying about now - but come summer it might be a headache....even if you can add a valve to control the output - this just tends to make heat output rise.
 
Yea - but remember - the bigger pump will generate more heat - something your probably not worrying about now - but come summer it might be a headache....even if you can add a valve to control the output - this just tends to make heat output rise.
I usually keep the tank about 76-77. The house is usually 72 all year long. You think it would generate more heat than 77?
 
It doesn't give the wattage - but I'd guess its in the 40+W range. So think of it as a heater running all the time. If this is in a living space where you can guarantee the temp all the time - then you'd be ok. Their 1000gph is 65w.

On the same page is this one - also amazon - closer to what you really need - 36W. Good reviews - but I've never run it.

http://www.amazon.com/EcoPlus-728310-Submersible-Pump-396GPH/dp/B0018X2XT4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_199_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=411gOjkDgBL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=00EJH33CKNAEEJ0ASKAN
 
Hmmm so that first one or the one you just linked would probably be safest in terms of heat.
 
Oh yea I forgot all about the noise. I would much rather have a quieter pump since its going to be in my room.
 
I know the oddyssea - its a relaible pump - and you can get parts... Its a quiet pump - The 700 will deliver all the flow you could possibly use and then some. Price is right - your choice.
 
I know the oddyssea - its a relaible pump - and you can get parts... Its a quiet pump - The 700 will deliver all the flow you could possibly use and then some. Price is right - your choice.
Parts to make it quieter or parts in case something breaks?
 
Well if they are quiet and reliable that's all im worried about. Trying to keep costs low for this sump and that pump would help with costs big time.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new