Return pump question

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers I have a 230 gallon tank I just upgraded. What size return pump do I need to run? I currently have a vectra m1

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your overflow rating (gph) (and what type?) Also, do you plan on doing anything other than return water to the tank? Would you want a manifold to run a recirculating protein skimmer for to run any other equipment?

OP
OP
C

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your overflow rating (gph) (and what type?) Also, do you plan on doing anything other than return water to the tank? Would you want a manifold to run a recirculating protein skimmer for to run any other equipment?
No just a return. No manifold. It’s a Aqua Japan custom aquarium. It’s like the sc aquarium

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those with more knowledge than me about plumbing will make reference to how many times an hour you want to ‘turn over’ your 230 gallons. You might want to do an R2R search about that. Also, some people might direct you towards having two smaller pumps, each going to separate return, for “redundancy” in case something happened to one pump while you were away.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already said it depends what flow you want to put through the sump area for filtration etc., and also if you want to feed reactors for example.

It also depends what circulation you want in the display and what else your using in there.

In my big tank, I have an Abyzz a200 feeding a reactor, UVC and chiller, and the turnover through the sump is around 3-4 times. But in the display I have 2 MP60’s and 1 MP40 providing most of the water movement, and of course the return from the Abyzz

Also consider noise, the Abyzz are silent and I mean you can’t hear them at all silent. But there expensive, so whatever you select it’s something to consider

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your head height, overflow plumbing, return plumbing and budget, some of the more exxy units have better flow or advertise much more honest flow at certain heads eg Abyzz and RE Rd3 Speedy series.
If you dont see yourself upgrading too soon as in 10 yrs or so you have a wide range available to meet your needs, i would suggest to run a DC style pump for silence and flexibility and at around 1.5 m head you could go Varios 8, Rd3 speedy, Abyzz or even Vectra L2.
I run an RD3 DC flow speedy on my 260g and with 1.5inch overflow at 1.5m head gives me 70w running speed, therefore i have plenty left for other equipment and can tee off for my UV system too.

So do your research on turnover at certain head heights, also be aware some cheaper manufacturer claims can be quite liberal when it comes to output flow and at cetain heads.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I used a M1 on my 240 for a couple years. Worked great.
I love how quiet it ran.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It will be based on your gallon per hour requirement
If you get a controllable pump, you can adjust the flow up or down to your needs

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the right plumbing on the return line, you should be able to get 4-5X turnover from the M1. You would want at least either two 1" returns or a single 1-1/4".

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of drains does it have. I would want to be around 1000-1250 gph (4-5x) on that tank, but sometimes, the drains won't allow that much water.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back