Return Pump Recommendation for 60 Cube?

Speedy77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I'm working on rebuilding a tank, and am looking to finally decide what the plumbing is going to look like when it's all redone. I'll be redrilling the tank from a 1" durso drain and 1/2" return to a 1" herbie with a 1.25" emergency and a 1/2" return (there's literally no space for anything else in the overflow). The pump that came with the tank is a Mag 9.5, and the screws are rusting like crazy. I could keep the old pump, but it runs a little loud, seems a little overkill flow-wise, and is well... old. I was looking at other pumps and was considering a Sicce 3.5. Do you guys have any return pump suggestions with my current setup? I'm also running an old style SWC 160 skimmer with an Atman ph2500 in it in case the turnover will drastically affect skimmer performance. If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know! I have yet to drill the tank or order a pump, so now is the perfect time for any advice
smile.gif

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never focused on flow rate through the return, just enough to match my skimmer since that's all that was in my sump. If the only reason water is leaving your display is to drop down into the sump for skimming then anything more is not needed and focus should be display tank turnover with power heads that are much more efficient at generating flow for tank.

Buy a pump that's quiet. The Sicce is quiet although they get REALLY loud once the propeller starts to deteriorate.

Chris8232

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I'm working on rebuilding a tank, and am looking to finally decide what the plumbing is going to look like when it's all redone. I'll be redrilling the tank from a 1" durso drain and 1/2" return to a 1" herbie with a 1.25" emergency and a 1/2" return (there's literally no space for anything else in the overflow). The pump that came with the tank is a Mag 9.5, and the screws are rusting like crazy. I could keep the old pump, but it runs a little loud, seems a little overkill flow-wise, and is well... old. I was looking at other pumps and was considering a Sicce 3.5. Do you guys have any return pump suggestions with my current setup? I'm also running an old style SWC 160 skimmer with an Atman ph2500 in it in case the turnover will drastically affect skimmer performance. If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know! I have yet to drill the tank or order a pump, so now is the perfect time for any advice
smile.gif
I had sicce 3.0 on mine and the drain couldn't keep a full siphon now I have a 5.0 for the display and run the 3.0 for reactors. NP

OP
OP
S

Speedy77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! Chris, what diameter is your drain?

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a jeabo dct 4000 on my 75 cube. I have a ro unit on its own pump and also reactor. I run a fuge in my middel chamber. In my display i use a vortech mp 10 and return is split 1 side a duck bill and the other a spray bar about 7 inches with 5 holes just below the surface to reduce back syphon.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 61 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back