Return Pump recommendations for 60G Cube

cressman90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening everyone,
I am having a difficult time deciding which return pump to get for my 60G Cube with a Eshopps Eclipse M overflow which is rated 800gph. I bought this tank second hand, and the overflow was already installed. Currently, I am looking at the Sicce SDC 6.0 and the Octo VarioS 4. I have been looking at the flow charts for both and am guessing the companies have to flow set to full power and have no restrictions. Both graphs are attached. My target flow rate is somewhere around 3-5 times per hour. At this time my tank is housing a few LPS and Soft corals. I am leaning towards the Sicce return pump due to already having the app downloaded on my phone for my Xstream SDC powerhead. All help will be greatly appreciated.
211815-sicce-syncra-sdc6-pump-flow-chart.jpg
varios_4-pressurechart_1.jpg

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘m using a varios 4 on a 55 with it running on the lowest speed. Kinda overkill. Varios2 probably would of been better but those were out of stock when I needed to buy a pump.

jpil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the EShopps M on my 65 gallon, running a Jebao DCP-4000 for a return with it turned almost all the way down to make the overflow dead silent, I’m guessing 300ish gph. So far the $70 Amazon pump has been amazing

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above poster about using a Sicce AC pump as a return. I use a Sicce ADV 5.5 on a 57 gallon tank. It is the “AC” equivalent to the SDC 6.0. I am running it dialed back about 15% with no issues. Set up like your 800 gph Eshopps Eclipse M overflow box, I am using a Modular Marine 1200 gph overflow run as a Herbie with 1” plumbing. My Sicce ADV 5.5 is feeding dual 1/2 return lines up to the DT. Rated at 50 watts, it is only pulling 34 watts according to my Apex.

OP
OP
C

cressman90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. Another question, when you say dial back do you mean running a gate valve in the return? or is there a restrictor plate on the pumps? When I first got into my planted tanks I ran a 55g with 20L with an Ecotech pump and it was crazy loud(vibration).. and it was in my front room and could be heard in my bedroom, my wife complained about all the time. My Cube will have a single 3/4" return, and I am debating on making a small manifold to give me upgradability. I do know that with the 24"x24" footprint doesn't give me much room but I really want to keep the entire setup as modular as possible due to moving in the next few years. I do understand the importance of unions, which will be used extensively in this build.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while i dont have experience with the sicce sdc vs ac, i have an ac sicce return pump and it isnt too quiet, noticeable hum. Replaced with hydor dc return and its better but not great. I do have a sicce sdc xstream and it is dead silent. I would go dc if looking for a more quiet pump and prob the sicce because of the warranty of 5 years

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sicce ADV for me is very quiet as far as AC pumps go. The loudest sound in my sump is the airline muffler for my protein skimmer. Dialing back the flow is done with a good quality ball valve. A gate valve really isn’t necessary. Save that for the full siphon line of your Herbie set up.

One thing to note with those ADV and SDC pumps though... I hate those pointy silicone bumper feet. I replaced mine with suction cups that I ordered from Tunze (Part#: 1073.085).

Last edited:

jpil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DC pumps are controllable, mine at 35% is moving like 300 gph and drawing just 11 watts. At full power it moves approx 1200gph at 50ish watts.

bob salzlein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while i dont have experience with the sicce sdc vs ac, i have an ac sicce return pump and it isnt too quiet, noticeable hum. Replaced with hydor dc return and its better but not great. I do have a sicce sdc xstream and it is dead silent. I would go dc if looking for a more quiet pump and prob the sicce because of the warranty of 5 years
How is your Hydor DC pump plumbed?

OP
OP
C

cressman90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly appreciate the responses and advice, I understand that AC pumps can have a higher life expectancy than DC. I am still on the fence on which style to go with. With AC pumps I have heard that if you restrict the flow it could reduce the efficiency of them and could cause premature wear and tear. But since coming to R2R I have read otherwise.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that you do not want to restrict the pump’s input side. When you valve back the output side, the pump will consume less energy.

OP
OP
C

cressman90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also one requirement that I am looking for is relatively quiet.. My Cube will be in my living room/Dining area. I have heard great things about Sicce for that aspect. I will say with my Xstream SDC wavemaker, on very quiet nights I can hear it, but its not distracting like some of the other pumps I had. I have been searching high and low on youtube for videos of the pumps I have stated that I'm interest in to see how quiet they are and the only ones I have seen is with Sicce pumps.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A VariOs 2 or 4 would be good here. 2 would be on the light side depending on head pressure, and the 4 might need some dialing back, but both very quiet.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back