Return pump recommendations for Marine x 60.2

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a waterbox marine x 60.2 (36 gallons) and I'm looking for a reliable and quiet return pump. Waterbox recommended a syncra silent 3.0 is there a better option?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like danner pumps
Maybe a 9.5

OP
OP
B

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the advantages of a DC pump? Are they as reliable?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the advantages of a DC pump? Are they as reliable?
DC pumps are quiet. Completely quiet. You can adjust the flow, so you can possibly use it on the next larger tank you build. Because you can adjust, if you don't run it at a high output, it will last longer.
I love my Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0. It runs my 32 gallon DT and 40 gallon sump at 33%.

Jonny Walker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still waiting on my 60.2 to ship ( I ordered it first week of Jan) but I also looking for recommendations on a return I would like to go with a Vectra but I’m not sure what size I should get.
I’ve read that a good rule of thumb is 3-5 x the gallons of your display so would the S2 be sufficient? this will be my first tank with a sump so I am unfamiliar with return pumps.

OP
OP
B

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still waiting on my 60.2 to ship ( I ordered it first week of Jan) but I also looking for recommendations on a return I would like to go with a Vectra but I’m not sure what size I should get.
I’ve read that a good rule of thumb is 3-5 x the gallons of your display so would the S2 be sufficient? this will be my first tank with a sump so I am unfamiliar with return pumps.
If your going with the vectra the S2 is the size you want for the 60.2

For me it's between the vectra S2 and syncra silent 3.0. I really don't care about a controllable pump. I just want quiet and reliable.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have vectra S1 (early version of S2) on a 60g cube w/ bashea cube sump. I don’t know the actual return rate, but I have it running about 90% power. I depend more on my 2 MP10s for in-tank circulation.
And I cannot hear it running even with my head inside the stand.

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a Nyos Viper 3.0 on my Marine X 60.2 on Waterbox recommendation. My tank is brand new and it has been working well so far. One thing to mention is that I did run into an issue with the barb that comes with it. The stock Waterbox return hose is very slightly larger (internal diameter) than the stock Nyos barb, so the temporary solution was to zip tie it tight to get a good seal while I go about trying to source the larger barb. I presume this issue is because Nyos is a German company and uses metric hardware.

PinkReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a Nyos Viper 3.0 on my Marine X 60.2 on Waterbox recommendation. My tank is brand new and it has been working well so far. One thing to mention is that I did run into an issue with the barb that comes with it. The stock Waterbox return hose is very slightly larger (internal diameter) than the stock Nyos barb, so the temporary solution was to zip tie it tight to get a good seal while I go about trying to source the larger barb. I presume this issue is because Nyos is a German company and uses metric hardware.
exactly my issue with the Viper 2.0

why did you go with the 3.0 on the 60.2 if i may ask?

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly my issue with the Viper 2.0

why did you go with the 3.0 on the 60.2 if i may ask?
TBH, I went with the 3.0 primarily based off WB’s recommendations, but also because of the excellent reviews I came across. Nowhere in those reviews did anyone mention the hose barb issue, however. It’s been running on my new tank for 36 hours without any issue, so I will simply monitor while I try to find a solution.

OP
OP
B

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH, I went with the 3.0 primarily based off WB’s recommendations, but also because of the excellent reviews I came across. Nowhere in those reviews did anyone mention the hose barb issue, however. It’s been running on my new tank for 36 hours without any issue, so I will simply monitor while I try to find a solution.
Can you hear the pump running with the stand door closed? I've read good things about viper pumps.

PinkReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, so good. It’s been super quiet. Definitely can’t notice it with the cabinet closed.
So, I'm not too happy about the sound of my Viper 2.0 - actually considering changing it to something else. I do hear it with the cabinet shut.

Would the difference be you might run the 3.0 on a lower flow rate? What have you set it at?

OP
OP
B

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm not too happy about the sound of my Viper 2.0 - actually considering changing it to something else. I do hear it with the cabinet shut.

Would the difference be you might run the 3.0 on a lower flow rate? What have you set it at?
Make sure your pump isn't touching anything in the sump, and it's on rubber feet. If you're still not happy with the noise I'm sure to 3.0 wouldn't be any quieter. To change the flow rate it just restricts the intake so it won't make it quieter.

Maybe look into a DC pump.

PinkReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your pump isn't touching anything in the sump, and it's on rubber feet. If you're still not happy with the noise I'm sure to 3.0 wouldn't be any quieter. To change the flow rate it just restricts the intake so it won't make it quieter.

Maybe look into a DC pump.
yeah its not touching, its really the "running sound" (if i lift it up slightly so its suspended, its the same sound). i'm considering a DC pump - but unsure how much difference that will make without spending the $

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back