Return pump recommendations refugium

wynagain

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2026
Messages
34
Reaction score
36
Location
97423
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon IM with a 39 gallon sump which doesn't have room for a skimmer and a refugium so I'm looking to add a 10gallon refugium on the side to free up the skimmer chamber and wanted to ask what size of return pump i will need. Its going to house macro algae with sand and live rock and a mantis shrimp and any undesirable guys i find. Will i need to add a wavemaker for flow or will the pump be enough?
 
The refugium has its own drain then?

Do you have a pic or drawing that shows the plumbing setup you're talking about using?

A tiny pump would work for that....only needs to be able to pump 20-40 GPH up 4 or 5 feet to the main tank....or even just over to the main sump, depending how the fuge is being fed.
 
I have mine teed off the return also, I added a valve in between the fuge and the return, I have enough water to drain back into my sump. You don’t need a big return pump if it’s right next to your sump.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new