Return to marine aquarium after 12 years absence

ReefCaloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to, in Canada, have a 375 gal. marine tank with fish and some LPS and soft corals, about 20 plus years ago. I had some success keeping fish and corals, but quit the hobby 12 years ago because of my constant business traveling. I travel regularly between Canada and the Philippines.

About 8 months ago I decided to set up a reef tank, in my home in the Philippines, after reading about new methods and equipments that make reefkeeping easier. After lots of reading and research online, I started a 90 gal reef tank with a 35 gal sump, with about 80 lbs. of wet live rocks. The live rocks were cured for about a month before adding them into the tank. It was cycled with a few fish and it went through the different types of algae blooms. 4 months ago I added a few soft and LPS corals and since they were doing okay, I added a few SPS corals. The corals were doing okay for about a month, with some polyp extensions and growth on the SPS corals.

About 2 months the corals started dying one by one, starting with the SPS until they were all dead. From what I have read, they died because my tank is still too young and the chemical levels were very erratic. Alkalinity would change from 6 to 11 dKH, Ca from 350 to 450 ppm and Mg from 1300 to 1500 ppm, because the various solutions were added manually. The Nitrate level also went up to about 30 ppm.

About a month ago I added more corals, and started using dosing pumps for the 3 chemicals and also dose with vodka/vinegar solution ( carbon dosing ) to lower the nitrate level. I also did four 20% water change ( btw I use 100% natural seawater ) in a span of 2 weeks.

Now the levels are more constant with alkalinity at 9.5 dKH, Ca at 440 ppm, Mg at 1400 ppm, pH at 8.4, Specific gravity at 1.0265 g/cc and nitrate at about 10 ppm. But the corals are still not doing well. The few SPS I added had no polyp extension and died within a week. The soft corals and the LPS are still alive but have very little extensions.

By the way I use reverse osmosis water and kalwasser solution for an auto top off.

What am doing wrong and what am I missing?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to, in Canada, have a 375 gal. marine tank with fish and some LPS and soft corals, about 20 plus years ago. I had some success keeping fish and corals, but quit the hobby 12 years ago because of my constant business traveling. I travel regularly between Canada and the Philippines.

About 8 months ago I decided to set up a reef tank, in my home in the Philippines, after reading about new methods and equipments that make reefkeeping easier. After lots of reading and research online, I started a 90 gal reef tank with a 35 gal sump, with about 80 lbs. of wet live rocks. The live rocks were cured for about a month before adding them into the tank. It was cycled with a few fish and it went through the different types of algae blooms. 4 months ago I added a few soft and LPS corals and since they were doing okay, I added a few SPS corals. The corals were doing okay for about a month, with some polyp extensions and growth on the SPS corals.

About 2 months the corals started dying one by one, starting with the SPS until they were all dead. From what I have read, they died because my tank is still too young and the chemical levels were very erratic. Alkalinity would change from 6 to 11 dKH, Ca from 350 to 450 ppm and Mg from 1300 to 1500 ppm, because the various solutions were added manually. The Nitrate level also went up to about 30 ppm.

About a month ago I added more corals, and started using dosing pumps for the 3 chemicals and also dose with vodka/vinegar solution ( carbon dosing ) to lower the nitrate level. I also did four 20% water change ( btw I use 100% natural seawater ) in a span of 2 weeks.

Now the levels are more constant with alkalinity at 9.5 dKH, Ca at 440 ppm, Mg at 1400 ppm, pH at 8.4, Specific gravity at 1.0265 g/cc and nitrate at about 10 ppm. But the corals are still not doing well. The few SPS I added had no polyp extension and died within a week. The soft corals and the LPS are still alive but have very little extensions.

By the way I use reverse osmosis water and kalwasser solution for an auto top off.

What was causing the swings? Also what light have you got? Did you do an icp to check for contamination?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0CB899A7-F3F4-493F-991A-B9D3E8E34B2E.gif

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the hobby once again. Sorry to hear about the troubles you are facing right now. Those swings you had were large. Perhaps if you gave the corals some time in the now stable conditions they will improve? Have any pictures of the corals?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Something is def off. A new tank shouldn't be chewing through major elements that fast. Sure, u may lose sps in young tank, but all lps shouldn't be dying outright so easily.

I'd suspect something more substantial than trace element or nitrate.

Salinity/ato/refractometer?
Temp swings?
Crazy intense light?

spockwelcome.jpg

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome back!... Great to have you as part of the R2R Family…

Explore…Learn…Share

2DV.gif

Hecticdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to R2R:)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back