Returning previously used but not exhausted GFO

DeepBlueSeaV1

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 21, 2018
Messages
129
Reaction score
173
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last few months, I've been running GFO. Phosphate test results have been zero, per salifert and Hanna phosphate checker.

9 Days ago, i removed my GFO canister from the reactor, but did not discard the media. I wanted to understand how the GFO was affecting phosphate readings under normal feeding.

Have been feeding normally and testing every other day. Started to see a trace of phosphates on day 3 and they have increased each day. This morning (day 9), they are already between .05 - 1.o.

Considering my GFO wasn't exhausted, as my test results were zero before removal, can I just place that cartridge back in the reactor?

Ultimately, I'm attempting to find the sweet spot of GFO/reactor flow/feeding, to be able to hold a .03-.1 phosphate test results.

Thanks
 
^^^^Agree with the smell test 100%
 
Im guessing you are looking for an amount/ratio and change rate?

Something like 1 tablespoon for the 75 gallon tank?
Change out once a week or per testing for changing out and conserving media?

That exact info will come with your personal experience with your own tank. :-)

A teaspoon to tablespoon range is probably realistic to start, depending on your tank size and fish/coral feeding regimen.
A weekly sequence keeps it at an easy to remember interval without using too large an amount that is changed too seldom.

Too much at once strips out all the phosphate too quickly. :-)
Changing infrequently roller coasters your phosphate level.
 
Im guessing you are looking for an amount/ratio and change rate?

Something like 1 tablespoon for the 75 gallon tank?
Change out once a week or per testing for changing out and conserving media?

That exact info will come with your personal experience with your own tank. :)

A teaspoon to tablespoon range is probably realistic to start, depending on your tank size and fish/coral feeding regimen.
A weekly sequence keeps it at an easy to remember interval without using too large an amount that is changed too seldom.

Too much at once strips out all the phosphate too quickly. :)
Changing infrequently roller coasters your phosphate level.


Yes, that's what I'm working towards. Got a shipment of SPS frags. While I have had good growth of two SPS that I have, the color's are mediocre at best. Looking to start running detectable levels of both phosphate and nitrates. Appreciate the start range, not sure I would have started that low, but that's where I'm heading.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new