Returning to the hobby after a 28 year sabbatical!

Heavyweight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. The last time I maintained an aquarium was back when I used to work for my local fish store while I was in high school. Back then I mostly kept single specimen aquariums that, admittedly, were way too small for the fish I was drawn to at the time. (Don't worry I always re-homed them when they got obviously too large for my setup ;))

Flash forward a couple decades and here I am looking to get back into the hobby that enthralled me so much as a kid. My budget is quite a bit larger and my interests have changed significantly since then, and in doing some research, I can see that the game has changed dramatically since my last foray into the hobby.

After spending some time at my LFS and talking with several of the employees there I am between two beginner friendly setups. The first being a JBJ 28G Nano Cube and the second being a Red Sea MAX E 170. I would like to have some corals and anemones as well as a few small fish and invertebrates. In doing what research I have done so far I realize how little I know and it sometimes feels quite daunting starting out but here I am... ready to learn.

So without further ado... hello and let me know what you think about those two setups!

Eric a.k.a Heavyweight

PS: I am located in High Point NC so if you are in the area hit me up! Always cool to have some F2F friends in a hobby!

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Season 7 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Augus7us

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I am also getting back after about 7 years off. My first tank was a JBJ 28 nano. I started out using it as an all in one and ended up using my own lights, hob skimmer and turned the overflow into a mini fuge. I did alright, had all kinds of stuff including sps.

IMG-20120315-00198.jpg

Sadly I can't find any of the photos with a majority of the sps I had :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Eric! Welcome to the fishy family!! I had the JBG... I really did not like it. It was a pain finding things that would fit in the back, like skimmers, etc. I never felt like the filtration had good flow through... lots of room to flow around the media. The rim was too wide to mount some of the lighting options I tried, so I suspended my light from the ceiling. Don't even get me started on cleaning those rounded corners.
I'd go Red Sea. Better quality, just nicer tank.
Enjoy the ride and best of luck!!
big eyes fish GIF

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back