Returning to the hobby after a 28 year sabbatical!

OP
OP
Heavyweight

Heavyweight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Eric! Welcome to the fishy family!! I had the JBG... I really did not like it. It was a pain finding things that would fit in the back, like skimmers, etc. I never felt like the filtration had good flow through... lots of room to flow around the media. The rim was too wide to mount some of the lighting options I tried, so I suspended my light from the ceiling. Don't even get me started on cleaning those rounded corners.
I'd go Red Sea. Better quality, just nicer tank.
Enjoy the ride and best of luck!!
big eyes fish GIF
Thank you very much, that is the kind of feedback I am looking for! I do want to go with the Red Sea but it is also $1000 more which could be used towards goodies to go IN the tank... at least that was my thought. The more I research, and the more I think about it, that $1000 might be better spent making sure I had a quality setup that I am happy with...

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!
Here are some resources you may like

If you like to read

If you prefer video’s. This video series is “5 minute guide”, good info. BRS TV has lots of different series.

Here’s a getting the most out of Reef2Reef link

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. The last time I maintained an aquarium was back when I used to work for my local fish store while I was in high school. Back then I mostly kept single specimen aquariums that, admittedly, were way too small for the fish I was drawn to at the time. (Don't worry I always re-homed them when they got obviously too large for my setup ;))

Flash forward a couple decades and here I am looking to get back into the hobby that enthralled me so much as a kid. My budget is quite a bit larger and my interests have changed significantly since then, and in doing some research, I can see that the game has changed dramatically since my last foray into the hobby.

After spending some time at my LFS and talking with several of the employees there I am between two beginner friendly setups. The first being a JBJ 28G Nano Cube and the second being a Red Sea MAX E 170. I would like to have some corals and anemones as well as a few small fish and invertebrates. In doing what research I have done so far I realize how little I know and it sometimes feels quite daunting starting out but here I am... ready to learn.

So without further ado... hello and let me know what you think about those two setups!

Eric a.k.a Heavyweight

PS: I am located in High Point NC so if you are in the area hit me up! Always cool to have some F2F friends in a hobby!
Welcome!

whale GIF

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and welcome back to the hobby! Regarding the price of the Red Sea, have you researched options for used gear? Not sure what it looks like in your area, but near me there are always folks on local forums, Facebook, or Craigslist looking to sell their tanks for very good prices -- some are empty tanks, others have established set ups.

OP
OP
Heavyweight

Heavyweight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the VERY warm welcome and advice! I am the proud new owner of a 75g rimless Seapora aquarium and all the fixings (I also picked up a 10g quarantine aquarium too!)

I will post a build thread soon but I want to watch some good videos on how to set this stuff up proper first. Starting with the BRS 52 weeks of reefing series! Any others you recommend?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back