Reverse Check Valve Question(s)

WhatCouldGoWrong71

TheDryReef
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2023
Messages
3,758
Reaction score
2,777
Location
Memphis
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I relocated both my return lines to the display end of my peninsula tank. My previous setup had 2 function reverse check valves. I assume I know what I did wrong, but am looking for confirmation. Prior my check vavles were level with my return lines that dumped into the tank (this set up times 2). Now as you can tell by the crappy photos, I have it way above. I’m not getting enough back pressure (I think) to create a perfect seal. Thus some air is getting in. Im thinking the check valve should be between the sea swirl and the exit of the return where it dumps into the tank. I’m glad I can laugh at myself, so can you! lol. Thoughts?

IMG_6738.jpeg IMG_6739.jpeg IMG_6740.jpeg IMG_6741.jpeg
 
I have always avoided these check valves because they can't 100% be relied upon.

Neither can AI, but when I googled "swing check valve installation" I got some additional <100% information that may help you if you take a look. I'm not going to copy it here because this is only a bump.

Climate Change GIF by GIPHY News
:cool:
 
I bet the farm (my last end bells for my check valve before I have to reorder) that I did it wrong. I changed it up. The check valve is on the outside and the return to the tank is between the sea swirl and the check valve. Doing it this way the line pressurizes due to the swing valve. Now I just have to test if the swing valve should be up or down when not pressurized. I forget how I had it. lol. Plumber I am not.
 
Plumbers I have struggled often to fix a leak from many connections and fixtures. I found a broken sprinkler in the back yard today and I love plumbing so much I left it for tomorrow. I have come to realize that one is either a competent Plumber, or just a plumbers friend.
kanye toilet GIF by ADWEEK
 
I am not really following your set-up or the actual problem but swing check valves have to either be in the vertical up-flow direction or horizontal and oriented so the hinge of the check is on top. They can never be in a down-flow direction.
 
With the swing valve above the end point it would never pressurize. Thus it was causing meaningful micro bubbles to be dispersed on a continuous basis. Thus water would simply flow past the T and out through the discharge. The way I illustrated in the video it is working perfectly. A “Y” fitting with the split facing down towards the tank would have worked, but I don’t have any Y’s and like the way this has come out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new