Reverse Osmosis for Aquarium and Home?

Mark Allan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a water distiller for over 30 years and thinking of replacing it with a newer system. I am also thinking of trying my very first reef tank. When shopping for Reverse Osmosis for both a reef tank and my houses drinking water is there a difference in what I should be looking for? Or is RO water just OR water and buy what ever system I can get supplies for?

OP
OP
Mark Allan

Mark Allan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For drinking you don't want DI. Only RO

For saltwater tank you want RO/DI
Actually DI is better for human consumption then RO. there is a book written by a Doctor (forgot the name) called the "choice is clear". But that is a totally different thing to disagree about. My question is what do I need to know when shopping for an RO unit. All my local suppliers only know home use not reefing.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm, I am not going to get into a debate about what water you should be drinking. But I would advise you to do a little more research before piping RODI through your home plumbing. ESPECIALLY if you have metal plumbing. It can lead to increased risk of metal toxicity, reduce the amount if electrolytes in the body, and strip minerals from your food if you cook with it.

But hey.. why trust science when you can just find a book that reinforces your beliefs.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a water distiller for over 30 years and thinking of replacing it with a newer system. I am also thinking of trying my very first reef tank. When shopping for Reverse Osmosis for both a reef tank and my houses drinking water is there a difference in what I should be looking for? Or is RO water just OR water and buy what ever system I can get supplies for?
Where are you located and what is your water supply?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason not to drink DI water is DI is not food grade material.

As for units, they are basically the same shell wise. The filters themselves are what set them apart.
Here is a link to a write-up reef-junky did a week ago. It is a good place to start. I would add if you are on city water, getting a copy of the latest water report is also a good idea. It should be available on their website.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put a T fitting just prior to the DI portion of the filtration system and feed a drinking water storage tank. BRS sells a drinking water kit that you can add to any RODI system. It works well, I run it. You get the RO water but no DI. Very easy to implement.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put a T fitting just prior to the DI portion of the filtration system and feed a drinking water storage tank. BRS sells a drinking water kit that you can add to any RODI system. It works well, I run it. You get the RO water but no DI. Very easy to implement.

This is what I do and has worked great for a few years now. I put a Tee after the RO filter and one line goes to a check valve then supplies my drinking water tank. The other line goes through my DI canister and to my RODI storage for the reef. Never had an issue with the drinking water or the reef's RODI water this way.

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to do this so I can fill my 5 gallon water dispenser jug at home. So is the consensus that it's safe to put a T-tap + valve before the DI resin and make drinking water that way? Do we need to worry about adding minerals back into the water?

OP
OP
Mark Allan

Mark Allan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located and what is your water supply?
Wiarton Ontario Canada and water source is Colopys Bay mechanical filtration then UV light then distilled. But now looking for replacing my 35 year old distiller.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back