Review of the New Ecotech Radion G4

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the same time I dont see where Ecotech is listing the par values at 24" deep or anything similar, just distribution.

No idea about MH comparisons but I can compare the same intensity and schedule between the G4 and G3 XR30 Pro and PAR was fractionally up but much more consistent, and that's after removing the central XR15 Pro and just having two G4 XR30 Pros replace the G3s. In other words, less units, more consistent PAR and no drop in PAR.

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your getting better coverage with the new lights for 45 less watts.

Original setup - 2 xr30 g3, 1 xr15 g3 = 425 watts max.
New setup - 2 xr30 g4 = 380 watts max.

Better distribution, slight bump in par, sounds like a plus all around.

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your getting better coverage with the new lights for 45 less watts.

Original setup - 2 xr30 g3, 1 xr15 g3 = 425 watts max.
New setup - 2 xr30 g4 = 380 watts max.

Better distribution, slight bump in par, sounds like a plus all around.

Sounds good when you put it like that. :)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not finding this 'light spill' to be an issue - I look at the tank and not at the lights.

For some people who have their tanks in a living area and houses that non-reef fanatics inhabiting them also, it can be unpleasant having the floor and walls illuminated with a blue white hue day and night, especially if it glares on the television and such.

I definitely get the light spill argument. It's my own personal number one logistical requirement in keeping any aquaria of any kind. Must have a canopy to capture all light spill. I like warm 2700k lighting all over the rest of the house (actually still prefer incandescent bulbs when available), so having tank lights blasting the entire room just will not do.

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some people who have their tanks in a living area and houses that non-reef fanatics inhabiting them also, it can be unpleasant having the floor and walls illuminated with a blue white hue day and night, especially if it glares on the television and such.

I definitely get the light spill argument. It's my own personal number one logistical requirement in keeping any aquaria of any kind. Must have a canopy to capture all light spill. I like warm 2700k lighting all over the rest of the house (actually still prefer incandescent bulbs when available), so having tank lights blasting the entire room just will not do.

I don't think that they blast the entire room, and they are only at their brightest during daylight hours. During the evening they are ramping down anyway. I understand, however, that what bothers some people doesn't bother others.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said it in your last statement. What bothers some doesn't bother others. The design optics on the G4 look better for the tank indeed. But to me, what I see in that video is completely unacceptable amounts of light spill. It may not bother some. But for me it would have to be hidden in a canopy. Because I cannot handle that. Having the light visible at all from any point in the room is no good, especially tiny ultra bright point sources

PlanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, after watching the video (I am lresearching LEDs for my new tank), you should be aware of a few possibilities before jumping to conclusions. I too am skeptical due to the video, and I really appreciate a forum like this to hammer out any impending issues, however, to be devils advocate...
1. The Website doing the product review may have turned down the intensity of the G3 light, to highlight the G4.
2. The spread of the G4 is said to be more consistent across its coverage, so it would inevitably be more "illuminating" at its edges, otherwise it would produce hotspots like the G3 by directing the intensity more downward.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on the fence about ordering some of the last Radion G3 Pro stock or going with the G4 Pro. I pulled the trigger on the G4. Should arrive this Friday. Hopefully it wont disappoint. I'll keep everyone posted on my experience with the G4 vs the G3.

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea about MH comparisons but I can compare the same intensity and schedule between the G4 and G3 XR30 Pro and PAR was fractionally up but much more consistent, and that's after removing the central XR15 Pro and just having two G4 XR30 Pros replace the G3s. In other words, less units, more consistent PAR and no drop in PAR.

What size tank do you have, Im trying to figure out how many I need on 7ft long

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my money where my mouth was and ordered the G4 pros on The 26th. Should have them for my build by 11/1.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on the fence about ordering some of the last Radion G3 Pro stock or going with the G4 Pro. I pulled the trigger on the G4. Should arrive this Friday. Hopefully it wont disappoint. I'll keep everyone posted on my experience with the G4 vs the G3.
I know this is a LONG time ago but I'm curious on how you like the G4 over the G3. My tank is in my living room right next to the couch so a blinding light would be no good. I'm wondering if that's one of the reasons they made the diffusers...

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a LONG time ago but I'm curious on how you like the G4 over the G3. My tank is in my living room right next to the couch so a blinding light would be no good. I'm wondering if that's one of the reasons they made the diffusers...
I prefer the G4 to the G3 and I run the diffusers on the G4's. It cuts back on the disco ball shimmer. Looks more Like T5 and creates a more even spread. The diffusers do kill quite a bit of PAR though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back