Revival of my RSM 66gal!

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many issues with this tank, everything just started falling apart. I would clean the algae and it would come back,daily. Also I had stability issues. So I took everysingle coral out of the tank except 1 rock of zoas.
Many times I thought about takign it down. But since it costs so much for me to buy it,I couldnt just take it down.

Here is the tank before I revived it
REDIDTHERSM004CR2.jpg

And after the revival,do you guys like the scape? I opened the tank up a little more. My plans for this tank is a display, 90percent colonies in this. Im going to try to stay away from frags and make this a true display.

Pardon the algae,still working on it. Im getting 2 or 3 tuxedos soon,they should take care of it...

You can't really see it in this picture but I made LOTS of over hangs for corals to sit on and for the wrasses to swim under.

REDIDTHERSM012.jpg

REDIDTHERSM011.jpg

REDIDTHERSM010.jpg

REDIDTHERSM009.jpg

REDIDTHERSM008.jpg

This last picture turned out kinda green,idk why

REDIDTHERSM007.jpg

Last edited:

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank looks like its on the rite path :wink: as for your scape i like :smile: and the idea of having a true display is something i wanna do also gl with the tank

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yea I figured since im basically starting from scratch, what is something I dont have? and a TRUE display tank was my answer!

brannock_16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good work on the new scape! I hope you have some quick plans for that Vlamingi tang! They grow exponentially fast and will outgrow that 66 gallon tank in a matter of months.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do anything to the tank itself? I have a nano that's overrun with algae and diatoms I just pulled all the live rock out of. Not sure what to do next--break down the tank and clean it all out or run it a while with just the sand, or put the rock back in it without any fish, or what? I just couldn't stand the mess anymore! Your tank looks great.

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good work on the new scape! I hope you have some quick plans for that Vlamingi tang! They grow exponentially fast and will outgrow that 66 gallon tank in a matter of months.

Yea my lfs is 20minutes away,so I plan on trading him when he outgrows the tank:sad:

Love the scape!

Thanks!

Did you do anything to the tank itself? I have a nano that's overrun with algae and diatoms I just pulled all the live rock out of. Not sure what to do next--break down the tank and clean it all out or run it a while with just the sand, or put the rock back in it without any fish, or what? I just couldn't stand the mess anymore! Your tank looks great.

Not really, I just took every single rock out, took out the WHOLE top layer of sand, scrubbed the rocks that had alot of algae, cleaned all the sides of the tank, and thats it. I know if you keep your mag high algae is suppose to grow slower. I know urchins will eat most algaes,so im going to get 2 or 3 tuxedoes. Also,a method ive never tried, I read about a method where you put a blanket over your tank for 3 days(with the lights off), and the algae dies,but ive never seen this done so idk how it works..

Just added some colonies and mini colonies from my 40gal

4 Favias
5 chalices
and
1 millipora mini colony

the_fish_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PICS! I have done the black out method when my algae was bad. Truly it worked for about 2 weeks then the algae started coming back. 4 days black out. I have found that CUC is key though!

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thtese arent the best colored pieces, just a few mini colonies taking up space in my 40gal.

Ill post a few

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some of the corals I put in there,most of these were corals that couldnt addapt to the leds in my shallow 40gal, so they lost most of their color...Hopefully it will come back under t5's..

The favias
1STCoralsInTheRSM011CR2.jpg

1STCoralsInTheRSM010CR2.jpg

1STCoralsInTheRSM002CR2.jpg

1STCoralsInTheRSM008CR2.jpg

1STCoralsInTheRSM003CR2.jpg

A few of the chalices
This 1 use to be dark mettalic green where it is brown..
1STCoralsInTheRSM007.jpg

1STCoralsInTheRSM006.jpg

1STCoralsInTheRSM004CR2.jpg

1STCoralsInTheRSM005CR2.jpg

Here are side tank shots
left
1STCoralsInTheRSM013.jpg

right
1STCoralsInTheRSM012.jpg

What should I put on the small pillar behind the favias?
Im feeling an acropora colony but not sure which species,it is in very high flow and direct light..
1STCoralsInTheRSM014copy.jpg

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking like it's going to
Make a turn around hope all goes well for ya!

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if want one I will HAVE to spot feed... But I might get a sun coral,actually I have an idea! They are NPS corals right?

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my LFS and got some things today. I know this coral won't be a big deal on here..but I picked up the most mettalic green torch coral i've ever personally seen.
Here it is

The torch
Daylight
UPDATEFORRSM014CR2.jpg

UPDATEFORRSM008CR2.jpg

UPDATEFORRSM006CR2.jpg

LED only
UPDATEFORRSM018CR2.jpg

and the Vlamingi was infront of the camera ,like usual, so..
UPDATEFORRSM011CR2.jpg

Last edited:

the_fish_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that candycane urchin! On a side not what kind of LEDs do you have in here and how did you get them in there? Sorry but I am looking to put LEDs in my rsm

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefexotic blue stunner strip-$40 for the strip and $25 for the wall plug in- BUT you can hook multiple strips into 1 plug in because the strips have plugs on them that can attatch to each other,if that makes since.

On the RSM 250(66gal), you can fit atleast 4 of them easily, I only have 1 atm and it covers about 1/5-1/4 of my tank. You put them right under the feeder flap(whatever it is called) and you get pretty good coverage. If you have the 34gal 1 will be good. Also, you take the wire and run it down the side of the tank,where the legs are, and run it down in the transformer/control panel opening and through the bottom of the control panel section,where there is a little opening for the control panels wire.

I probably didnt describe that the best,but it is very hard to do in typing,lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 urchins croaked,I think they had a disease or something:sad:...because 1 of them lived and I acclimated them all the same.....

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back