Reviving dead corals- odds?

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How rare is it that once a coral become a skeleton for months, it'd come back?

My frogspawn and Acan died suddenly many months ago (after it was growing so well). Couldn't figure out why.. I didn't remove the skeleton since it was glued down. It was empty for months.. then all of the sudden, I see them growing back. Tiny acans and tiny frogspawn tentacles making their appearance.

I am happy they're coming back, but I never thought they would. how common is it for them to come back after being dead for so long?

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How rare is it that once a coral become a skeleton for months, it'd come back?

My frogspawn and Acan died suddenly many months ago (after it was growing so well). Couldn't figure out why.. I didn't remove the skeleton since it was glued down. It was empty for months.. then all of the sudden, I see them growing back. Tiny acans and tiny frogspawn tentacles making their appearance.

I am happy they're coming back, but I never thought they would. how common is it for them to come back after being dead for so long?
all the time for me if they are lps.
sps ; not so much.

Joshua Cline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just depends on how "dead they really are" I have seen sps come back from almost completely browned out. You never really know. If something dies in my tank I always leave it in my tank for a few weeks. About 65% of the time I can see improvement if I can figure out why the coral is dying and fix the issue.

Rpujol85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on "depends how dead it really is".

Lots of times corals can look dead but just be really bleached out.

For me, as long as the skeleton is still white, it still has a fairly decent chance.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had gonies covered in thick algae that came back.
it can be one lump of dead coral for 4-6 months and then a polyp will appear. they do not have to be white.

sps i have not seen do this, but lps. if they ever happen to die, go behind a hidden wall obscuring the front and sit there until they come back.

they almost always come back for me.

after 12 months, i usually give up though.

ahammer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had completely gone war coral come back from the grave, pretty awesome to witness.

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a wall hammer from a friend for free. he damaged it during fragging. it slowly "died" I could see the flesh disappearing and figured it was a goner. wasn't too upset it was free and in rough condition when I got it. then just as the last of the flesh was barely hanging on to the skeleton, a tiny hammer came out. now a few weeks later the head is full and the flesh has come back. no idea what changed or why it came back but im not complaining.

Yanay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way these would come back? It’s a torch and an acan

56FEAEFF-7A66-4052-9F6A-73A50DA706A8.jpeg

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a Birdsnest comeback that looked like someone took a tourch to it. No idea how, I thought it was completely gone. Then little by little polyps started showing up and now that Birdsnest grows like a week in my tank. I just took a nice sized colony of it to the LFS and saved a frag off of it.

Nov 2014
7546462F-B9ED-4BCE-96E4-46A41EB65295.jpeg

Dec 2017
E4E304EB-E355-48FF-AE46-834D65AC32BF.jpeg

July 2018
47895ECF-3D98-4BD1-905C-1AE0FEFABB36.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back