Revs Breeding Thread

maroonytunes

Reefing Without Coral
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I wish I did, I was walking through a fish store in town and saw a pair of small maroons and the were so cool when they are little.

Last edited:

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev I used to breed cards and they are easy, but make sure once you get them paired of that you remove the others that are not paired or they will be beaten up and sometimes killed. It happened with mine unfortunately. The first few days the parents will not eat them but the longer you have the babies in the same tank some will get eaten by the once parents. You also have to be careful that the female doesn't want to breed so much that the male eventually starves. The breeding pair I had would reproduce almost monthly. They are one of the easiest but costliest fish to breed because of the low birth count if you were to start a full operation. That is why there have been very few major breeding operations with these fish. The most young I got out of my pair was 29 babies at anyone birthing, so when you think about it you can breed other fish that give 100's maybe 1000's of young the birth rate is very low with cards.....I am thinking of getting another pair to try again, also check out wetwebmedia.com they have some get info over there on breeding cards and other fish as well.....I lost my pair when a yellow tang went nuts and killed my male and 3 days later killed my female. Good luck Rev.

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Deliquescent Reefkeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev I don't know if you have gotten it but Joan Wilkersons "Clownfishes" book is one of the best, covering Live foods, breeding tanks, equipment needed. I have a copy you can borrow if you would like. Let me know what you think!

Great topic!

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is amazing! I've met him a couple times at one of the local LFS around here...his mind works on a different level when it comes to breeding clownfish!

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raised a pair of orange skunks in a 5 gallon bucket with a little sand an air stone. Even had a plastic plant in there. This experiment was just to prove it's not really that hard for some clowns. The night they hatched I threw brine shrimp eggs in the water with them and every couple days I put more eggs in the water. I collected around 20 or so fry and the next morning they were all dead but 2. Think I had the air up too high. Anyway Those 2 fish are still alive and in a friends tank. So no they don't have to have the s strain. All the clowns I raised never had the s strain.
I fed bangaii babies off baby brine and cyclop eeze and then on to chopped mysis.
Keiths black clowns are very nice colored. Not the frosty black you sometimes see.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok gang as you might have read, my picasso clown mommy is pregnant! YEA!

That being said I wanted to get this thread going again and I would like to fill it with our own info without having to go somewhere else. I want people searching the net to be able to find the info here at R2R. Sound good? :D Ok here we go!

I am going to make a list of stuff I think or know I need. You help me with this list please.

NANOYED baby sat me last night and told me some stuff I need that I will post shortly. I want to get your input as well.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok i am going to list everything I need or think I need. LOL!

Here is what I need for the rotifer culture:

Nannochloropsis 3600 to feed the rotifers.
Live Rotifers, 1 Million count to get my culture going now!
Rotifer Floss to remove rotifer waste.
2x 5 gallon buckets to use as the Culturing Containers
Air pump, tube with air stone, with enough airflow to provide good circulation of the
culture

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys I think I might have jumped the gun.... :(

Tummy is pretty much not big anymore. I am thinking she might have swallowed some sinking pellets whole! BOOOOO!!!

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev if you need some airstones I could just send you some. No charge. Might even have an air pump laying around too.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rev if you need some airstones I could just send you some. No charge. Might even have an air pump laying around too.

Thank you so much!! I may hit you up on PM!!!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back