RFG with Loc Line

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Markxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I have a red sea reefer 250 and want to add a dual rfg to it. I want to have them pointing towards the back corners because thats where i need more flow. but it seems like i would need to add a lot of loc line to it. do you know what is the most loc line i can use and still have the rfg be effective?

texdoc77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I have a red sea reefer 250 and want to add a dual rfg to it. I want to have them pointing towards the back corners because thats where i need more flow. but it seems like i would need to add a lot of loc line to it. do you know what is the most loc line i can use and still have the rfg be effective?
If I understand your question you are worried that a long run of loc-line will decrease the end pressure and the RFG will not work correctly. AFAIK head pressure and bends in the pipe are what decrease the pressure. A long horizontal straight run of pipe should in theory have the same pressure at the beginning and end. Of course you likely don't want 3' of loc-line snaking through your tank.

That said for me personally I don't consider return lines as part of my tank flow. I use powerheads for this purpose.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure of the amount of loc-line you could use before loosing too much flow - it would depend on your return pump.

With that said, with a single stick of loc-line (about 6in) can sap as much as 5% throughput, but again, that would depend on a few factors including the size of the pump and the size plumbing before the return line outlet

I have seen a few people add 2 to 3 more segments to each size of the Dual 1/2iun Kit and have no "noticeable" throughput loss (meuasruable - yes. noticeable - not so much) over just adding the kit and the RFGs continued to randomize as expected.

hope that answered you question - if you ave any additional, please do not hesitate to ask.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 93 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back