Ricordea Propagation

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mole
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mole

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 20, 2013
Messages
917
Reaction score
63
Location
Grand Rapids, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm pretty sure this belongs here. The questions I have are;

I have a ricordea I got a while ago on some rubble which has gone from about 1 1/2" diameter w/ 2 mouths to 2" x 3" with 4 mouths. Do these things ever just drop off and or attach to anything? right now the new growth is just sorta floating around while the original rubble is glued to live rock. IF they need "help" splitting off from the parent, they should heal up with little to no issues. no? or do I just wait?
 
Sounds like they don't have anything to attach to. They split and reproduce but they need a surface to attach to like live rock. You can cut them apart and under good conditions should heal.
 
Thanks. You mean just like doing zoas correct? find the foot and glue it after separation? Here's what they're looking like right now.

IMG_20130414_103424_zps79ebc888.jpg
 
No you cut clean across the mouth down the middle of it and place in some rubble rock to heal with low flow
 
Never had any luck gluing a ric. They just secret new mucus and float off Mostly at night when you don't notice.
I would confine any new frags in a breeder box until they attach to some rubble hen glue the rubble down.
 
If the ricordea has only one mouth then you cut through the mouth. If there is more than one mouth then cut between the mouths so that there is at least one mouth per new piece. I let the new pieces attach to live sand and glue the live sand to the rock I want them to stay on. There are lots of good treads and videos out there documenting other people doing it.
 
If its attached securely, put it in med flow, so as to expose the foot. Then cut around the foot. I usually try and make the foot squarish. Just cut the the round out. That way it doesn't come unglued. It doesn't happen overnight, but every sliver will become a ricordia and creep from under the mother. I got seven one time and the mom just got bigger;)good luck
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new