Rift 2 Reef: Twin 120's

Donny41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my dream build! I bought a house in December and had to tear down my reefer 250 in the process. Now that I have a little more room I've decided to go ahead with my ultimate tank dream: side by side Malawi cichlid and reef tanks. I started my aquarium keeping with rift lake cichlids and have been wanting to get a second tank for a while since I started reefing and now seemed like the perfect time. I put the order for two Seapora 48"×24" 120's, one with dual corner overflows and one standard. The tanks should be in in the next week or two and in the mean time I am working on framing out the basement where they will be going and building the stands.

OP
OP
Donny41

Donny41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The location:

The tanks will be located in my basement, which I am in the process of finishing now. I framed out the section where the tanks will be going and will continue to finish the rest as time permits. The two tanks will be side by side in the 9 foot section below.

20220305_084220.jpg

Because of the ductwork the cichlid tank will be on the left, as the reef tank would be too tall with the lights. I should have at least 4 inches between the tanks and 2.5 on either side against the walls. Ideally I want more but that was not possible with the pipe and support beam. The sump for the reef tank will be on the other side of the wall with water storage and all equipment.

OP
OP
Donny41

Donny41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stands:

I built a stand out of mainly 2x4s with a 2x6 top rail. I used the design from Rocket Engineers thread on reef central, but added two supports in the middle because of tank size and stand height. The stands will both be 42" tall. I chose to build two individual stands instead of one large one just to make it easier to build outside of the basement. I finished the frame of the first one tonight.
20220305_152210.jpg
Snapchat-1694511127.jpg

OP
OP
Donny41

Donny41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up the reef ready tank last weekend, standard 120 delivery is delayed a few weeks, which is fine by me because progress is coming along slow. Stand is getting stained today. Aiming to have this tank up and running by easter.
20220327_100519.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back