Rimless filter option?

LePlat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea if this is the right forum as I'm new to yalls site. But I feel super noobish for needing to ask so here I am. Setting up a new salt water nano but purchased a 17.1 gallon rimless. Traditionally when I did tanks, I used HOB filters or canisters for my freshwater predators and was planning on using an ac70 with the overflow box instead of standard tube. But upon obtaining the tank, I got some serious doubts about the weight of the HOB hanging on a rimless, with skimpy silicone, tank. Iv spent so long looking and researching that I'm about to just powerhead the dang thing with no filter. Tank will be mostly zoa and gsp. Frogspawn and xenia are on the list but probably not much else. Likely no more than 1 fish for the kids.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!

What thickness is your tank? I'd be surprised if it couldn't hold up an ac70 (full, it should weigh around 8lbs), but it would help to know the dimensions and glass thickness.

OP
OP
L

LePlat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks is a lifegard 17.1 gallon. 6mm thickness. Its 23.5x11.5x14 iirc. I'm working a 24 so that's off the too of my head but I know its 6mm low iron glass and 14 in top to bottom, which is why I steered away from the one insert i liked.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back