Rimless tank filtration question

DEE’S reef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2026
Messages
611
Reaction score
230
Location
warren, mi
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was looking through facebook marketplace and found a 7 gallon rimless tank and a 13 gallon rimless tank. And I was wondering what do people use for filtration on tanks those size.
 
My little 8g is an AIO but I don't use mechanical filtration. Depending on what you have in the tank mechanical situation isn't alway necessary.

I run my IM 20 with no mechanical filtration.
Pretty much rock, flow, light and heat.
PXL_20260109_233312665~2.jpg
 
You can use an HOB (I prefer the Seachem Tidal), and/or just go with water changes.

5 gallon water changes have a big impact on nano tanks.
 
My little 8g is an AIO but I don't use mechanical filtration. Depending on what you have in the tank mechanical situation isn't alway necessary.

I run my IM 20 with no mechanical filtration.
Pretty much rock, flow, light and heat.
PXL_20260109_233312665~2.jpg
There completely rimless would it matter if I ran a hob filter with it
 
Aquaclear HOB filters are great.

I run an Aquaclear 70 on a 15 gallon with just some polyfill. The water is crystal clear.
 
There completely rimless would it matter if I ran a hob filter with it
Nope! Should work fine. Check out the Seachem Tidal 35 should work perfect.
There is someone on here offloading one I think.
Comes with filter floss and media bag.
 
So use a media bag and filter floss would I need a power head for the tank
Depends on what you have in the tank, depending on the filter you have you may not... but a small one would be beneficial.
 
I was thinking a aqua clear 20 for the filter I like it I have it on my qt tank.
 
Aquaclear HOB filters are great.

I run an Aquaclear 70 on a 15 gallon with just some polyfill. The water is crystal clear.
I have an Aquaclear on my 10g QT for 3 solid years.
Solid piece of equipment.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new