Risk of UV sterilizer degrading flexible white schedule 40 PVC

Paul.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 watt icecap uv sterilizer plumbed to schedule 40 flexible white pvc. The uv light is penetrating the flexible PVC. Do I need to worry that the pvc will degrade and eventually break? I am running the uV 24/7. Thanks

IMG_8201.jpeg

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry.

In one sense UV will degrade just about everything but to avoid this the general recommendation is to use PVC fittings The body of most units is PVC and PVC will hold up much longer to UV exposure than most other materials.

That being said I have seen the PVC bodies of the units themselves degrade from UV exposure but this is typically not for 7 -10 years of use. Make sure to inspect the unit and make sure the material is not getting thin and brittle.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back