RO/DI

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody. I’m thinking about getting some kind of RO DI filtration, but I have no idea how it works. It seems like you have to attach it to a water source, like under the sink, and that doesn’t work for me. I’m looking for something easy that fills up a separate tank with several gallons that I can add reef salt to and use for water changes. I’d prefer to just be able to add tap water to it myself without a direct hook up. Does this exist? Not looking to spend a lot and would like something where the filters are easy to replace and I’ll know exactly when to replace them. Thanks in advance.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS sells a faucet adapter that lets you hook your RO/DI unit up to your faucet via a push to connect adapter. This lets you temporarily hook up your RO/DI unit quickly and easily and lets you remove it just as easily. We have to do that since we live in an apartment. The adapter was $13 as I recall.

You just unscrew the faucet aerator and screw in the adapter. It has its own aerator in it so you don’t have to remove the adapter itself. There’s a lever that lets you go between using the RO/DI unit and the tap.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most RO/DI units come with fittings to hook up to your garden hose.
This is a good option if you live in a house and not an apartment. It may well be a better option in fact especially if you live in a warmer climate.

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you by 'add tap water to it myself without a direct hook up' you mean filling up some kind of container and have it processed, then no. It needs the pressure from your water line to force it through the filters.

If you're looking to set up a smaller tank you might be better off buying pre-made salt water at your fish store.

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS sells a faucet adapter that lets you hook your RO/DI unit up to your faucet via a push to connect adapter. This lets you temporarily hook up your RO/DI unit quickly and easily and lets you remove it just as easily. We have to do that since we live in an apartment. The adapter was $13 as I recall.

You just unscrew the faucet aerator and screw in the adapter. It has its own aerator in it so you don’t have to remove the adapter itself. There’s a lever that lets you go between using the RO/DI unit and the tap.
Thank you. I’m going to try this in the bathroom. Live in a condo. So much faster than distilling a bunch of water. Just got one on Amazon. Hopefully it works. Comes with an adapter as well.

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you by 'add tap water to it myself without a direct hook up' you mean filling up some kind of container and have it processed, then no. It needs the pressure from your water line to force it through the filters.

If you're looking to set up a smaller tank you might be better off buying pre-made salt water at your fish store.
Thanks. Watched a video and I think I’m getting it now. I was confusing these filters need for a sump setup.

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just bought a 5 stage premium plus from Bill reef supply. How often will I need to check to make sure it doesn’t overflow?

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 5 stage premium plus from Bill reef supply. How often will I need to check to make sure it doesn’t overflow?
Depends on your pressure, but it’s highly advised to fill the buckets in the shower or tub if you’re going to use it in the bathroom so if it does overflow it will go down the drain.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float Valves will prevent overflow when you're refilling your Reservoir. This is my water station, BRS 5stage RO/Di system, 60g reserve salt mixing tub, the container under the tub is my ATO reservoir. A simple pet food container w/ lid keeps contaminants out.
20230520_085253.jpg

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I’m going to try this in the bathroom. Live in a condo. So much faster than distilling a bunch of water. Just got one on Amazon. Hopefully it works. Comes with an adapter as well.
I also live in a condo if the fitting doesn’t work dm me i can look up the exact thing i ordered. I had never plumbed anything in my life but we eventually found a cheap adapter for under the sink on Amazon and did that. Was actually simple.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For knowing when to change filters here's a read for you.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody. I’m thinking about getting some kind of RO DI filtration, but I have no idea how it works. It seems like you have to attach it to a water source, like under the sink, and that doesn’t work for me. I’m looking for something easy that fills up a separate tank with several gallons that I can add reef salt to and use for water changes. I’d prefer to just be able to add tap water to it myself without a direct hook up. Does this exist? Not looking to spend a lot and would like something where the filters are easy to replace and I’ll know exactly when to replace them. Thanks in advance.
use a garden hose adapter that's basically what I do

Last edited:

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth:
I just got this one for ease of use:

works like a charm. Just make sure all fittings are tight before start.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth:
I just got this one for ease of use:

works like a charm. Just make sure all fittings are tight before start.

I’ve used this gem for 3 years now making 20g per week.
There are similar versions of this by other manufacturers.
Hooks direct to my sink.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back