Rob's 75 Gallon Mixed Reef

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby now for almost 20 years. I have had a lot of tanks but I have not done a build thread. I currently have a 15 Gallon Waterbox that is going great. But I found a great deal on a 75 gallon reef ready deep blue with stand for around $400. I am going to take this one quite slow because I want it done right and not rushed. I have an idea of equipment and how I want to run this one but nothing definitive yet.

IMG_6313.jpg

IMG_6314.jpg

IMG_6370.jpg

OP
OP
robmiller2

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to get some ideas for a sump. I have been doing lots of research and I am really leaning towards a Geo's Reef Sump. I like the layout and where the sump is located. I love the look too. There are so many options out there but with time and my want to actually do it my way I keep flip flopping. What do others have out there that they use?

OP
OP
robmiller2

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get a used sump to start out with so I have time save up for the Geo's Reef Sump that I want. Currently debating on a skimmer. Due to size limitations I have found two options. The skimmer section opening is 6.5 x 13.5. One option is the Eshopps Axiom X-120 which I found one at a LFS for $200 and the Nyos 120 which is double the price. I am not sure if its worth it go pay for the Nyos when the reviews of the eshopps one are quite good.

OP
OP
robmiller2

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting the Eshopps skimmer. I have read a lot of good reviews and its actually going to fit in my sump. I hope it does a good job. I cant wait to start actually setting up the tank.

OP
OP
robmiller2

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some more equipment for the build. Picked up a COR-20 while on sale and got a DOS. Also picked up a canopy for a good price since it had a small damaged area. Nothing a bit of black paint cant fix. No real update on the 75 build though. With a move possible in the near future I dont want to set everying up just to take it down.

OP
OP
robmiller2

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to cycle some rock in a brute trash can. Still trying to figure out if we are going to move or not before I work on setting up the 75.
Here is a pic if my Waterbox 20 Cube.

IMG_6618.jpg

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would use the NYOS, COR20 DOS etc if someone gave them to me.

they are just way outta my price range. Same with Geo.

Yes those are great options, but don't feel like you have to use them. There are other options out there that git r done.

OP
OP
robmiller2

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a couple updates. Finally got all of the lights and mounts that I wanted. Got the mounts in the canopy waiting to install lights until closer to actually needing them. Got some reef saver rock coming in today so I can start them off in a brute with some Dr Tims one and only for a month or so. Going to be moving the tank into place at the end of the month after the floors are redone and we paint the living room. Finally heading in the direction of setting things up. I am ready to get this one going.

OP
OP
robmiller2

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only the one leak. What a relief. Gonna do the aquascape tomorrow and start filling. Rock has been cycling in a brute for over a month now. Hopefully no crazy issues.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back