Robs reef reboot April 2023

oz_robc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time after 13 years to update the tank. Could not resist an 18 month old 95g waterbox aquarium someone local was selling. Setup in April 23 most of the equipment was simply swapped across from my old tank. It reminded me on how old my equipment was after I found out new MP40 (mobius) pumps are no longer supported by profilux and GHL no longer sell the upgrade clusters for the mitras LX6100HV lights. Anyhow MP40 is still going well together with the Mitras lights. I had 3 lights running on my old tank so reduced to 2 lights so have a spare. Mitras only ever run in eco mod so they still seem fine (except the LCD display is faded into near non existence).

All fish survived the move however alot of the coral simply did not transfer very well so dumped them. Equipment upgrade added a nero 5 (to replace an MP10 which wouldnt stick to 12mm glass) and got the redsea reefmat500 and a kalk stirrer yet to be run . Wow now the reefmat is revolutionary in the hobby whereas everything else has simply evolved over the last 10 years.

The goal for the tank is for me to be a little more creative with the scape and do a minimalistic rock structure to create a softy tank. heres a couple of pics during its cycling period taken over the last week... The tank is going through a cycle as the glass dusts up morning and night and have noticed my reefmat usage is 50-60cm / day at the moment. The light stands are simply made with low profile tslot. I am still a profilux 3.1N fanboy which has controlled my old tank since time began. Just purchased another complete profilux setup 3.1N with exp unit and dosers etc etc so will get the ghl V2 doser connected over the next few months. I would not be into aquariums if the tank had not had an AWC setup as the auto water changes meant for the last 6 years had not dosed any Ca/Alk/Mag however swear by seachem Trace/Plus dosed on alternate days and NoPox. This tank I was going to try a kalk stirrer, I have purchased the bubble magnus however the motor is soo noisy I have to find an alternate motor for the stirrer. I am going to try a stepper motor for the stirrer this weekend.

tank1.jpg tank2.jpg tank3.jpg

Equipment List

Waterbox reef 130.4. 365l (96g)
Red Sea reefmat500
Tunze 9410 skimmer
Bubble magnus kalk stirrer
MP40 & AI Nero5
Profilux 3.1N
Profilux 4 ch doser
Mitras 6100HV lights
ATO & AWC via profilux using tunze small pumps

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time after 13 years to update the tank. Could not resist an 18 month old 95g waterbox aquarium someone local was selling. Setup in April 23 most of the equipment was simply swapped across from my old tank. It reminded me on how old my equipment was after I found out new MP40 (mobius) pumps are no longer supported by profilux and GHL no longer sell the upgrade clusters for the mitras LX6100HV lights. Anyhow MP40 is still going well together with the Mitras lights. I had 3 lights running on my old tank so reduced to 2 lights so have a spare. Mitras only ever run in eco mod so they still seem fine (except the LCD display is faded into near non existence).

All fish survived the move however alot of the coral simply did not transfer very well so dumped them. Equipment upgrade added a nero 5 (to replace an MP10 which wouldnt stick to 12mm glass) and got the redsea reefmat500 and a kalk stirrer yet to be run . Wow now the reefmat is revolutionary in the hobby whereas everything else has simply evolved over the last 10 years.

The goal for the tank is for me to be a little more creative with the scape and do a minimalistic rock structure to create a softy tank. heres a couple of pics during its cycling period taken over the last week... The tank is going through a cycle as the glass dusts up morning and night and have noticed my reefmat usage is 50-60cm / day at the moment. The light stands are simply made with low profile tslot. I am still a profilux 3.1N fanboy which has controlled my old tank since time began. Just purchased another complete profilux setup 3.1N with exp unit and dosers etc etc so will get the ghl V2 doser connected over the next few months. I would not be into aquariums if the tank had not had an AWC setup as the auto water changes meant for the last 6 years had not dosed any Ca/Alk/Mag however swear by seachem Trace/Plus dosed on alternate days and NoPox. This tank I was going to try a kalk stirrer, I have purchased the bubble magnus however the motor is soo noisy I have to find an alternate motor for the stirrer. I am going to try a stepper motor for the stirrer this weekend.

tank1.jpg tank2.jpg tank3.jpg
I like the way your tank looks!!

OP
OP
O

oz_robc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefmat usage is probably a good indicator which represents a week 4 algae bloom since setup. The roll usage is 4x that per day of the first week. Tank is still reasonably clear, better than week 3 where the glass would dust-up morning and night. Reduced the light intensity t0 70% of what I used to run on the old tank whilst we get iver this stage of the cycle.
leather corals are still not happy at all, dont know if the new tank is too clean for them or they are suffering ammonia / nitrate cycles.

IMG_4773.jpeg

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back