Roc83's 70GL to 180GL Build

Roc83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm just coming back into the hobby and I am starting my build. Nothing is set in stone as of right now hence the 70GL to 180GL build. I basically as of right now have three plans with "A" being my favorable one.

Plan A

I picked up a 75 gallon used it has some defects in it. I am going to rip it down cut off an Inxh or so technically it will be about 70 to 74 gallons, take out that massive euro brace in my opinion it is overkill with 1/2 glass. It has a breakdown stand which I do not like and allows no room for a sump, most likely going to build one out of birch. I tested my CFL's , one of ballasts is out in my coral reef model so I'm left with my current. Having a heck of a time trying to find replacement bulbs my actinics are out. I also found one of my old MH fixtures not quite sure if I'm going to use it. I plan upgrading to three Orphek or120's in the future. The sheet glass will be my sump in the future, still have not drawn that up or researched pumps, scrubbers, reactors and such. Any help and suggestions would be great. In total as of now I am only about $225 into the build so I am still way below the budget for my initial set up.

Plan B

Plan B would be to take my Diamondback Terrapin out of my 150 and use that, the only issue I have is the tank is a top fin and is has been known to leak at the bottom seal after a few years. Also I find hard to clean because it is tall.
part0_13.jpeg

Plan C

I went to my LFS and saw this 180GL acrylic drilled with a closed loop for $100. I impulse bought it , it needs a lot of cleaning and buffing. After researching for a while, it will take 3 times as much money to get this one started compared to the other plans, so that would kill my budget, in the end it may be worth it.
part0_14.jpeg
20190602_170436.jpeg

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts about my plans, good are bad[emoji4] .

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with A. This is a very expensive hobby and if you feel that C would be stretching your budget, avoid it. If you can keep the fish you want to keep in tank A, choose that.

It will be cheaper to light and stock as well.

OP
OP
Roc83

Roc83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with A. This is a very expensive hobby and if you feel that C would be stretching your budget, avoid it. If you can keep the fish you want to keep in tank A, choose that.

It will be cheaper to light and stock as well.
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back