Rock bottom tank? Is that a thing?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are also using TWF Reborn. Mixing the small and medium size for substrate. I've never done it but could see a use case for it if using a reverse under gravel (UFG) filter like @Lasse mentioned above.

I still see maintenance involved but maybe it will be easier. A lot of it would depend on how the main reef structure is set up vs access with tools.

Tripod1404

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a mix of sand bottom and rock bottom tank. I have flat shelve rocks that cover large portions of the sand bed. There still is sand under that flat rock, so it is not exactly what OP proposed, but I would say only 20-30% of the sand bed is uncovered, rest is under flat rocks.

IMG_5753.jpeg

IMG_5754.jpeg

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm upgrading to a new 65g in the next few weeks. I love the look of sand and have always had sand tanks, but find my time to dedicate to cleaning it is not consistent. Bare bottom seems too empty for me. So I'm thinking...

Does anyone have experience creating a mosaic like "substrate" using just rock? I have my main aquascape rock set up and lots of rock will be moved to seed the new tank. I have a lot of dry rock left over, wondering if it's a bad idea to create roughly 40-50 golf ball sized rock islands to mimic a substrate.
1713967849512.jpeg

My 120 is BB, as in no substrate but as you can see, covered with large rocks, covered with coral. I like it!

Last edited:

Thomas B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thought about this too. Down here in the south they have a thing called key stone, which is fossilized coral they use for house decorations or floors. a couple of pieces would look natural. I just thought the debris would pile up underneath it and silicone would look terrible.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 21

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk. would it build up underneath from stuff sifting down through? you couldnt really have the sand sifting crew for turnover...
Set on top a reverse flow undergravel filter. Every so often you can suck all the gunk out from under the rocks.

Thomas B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if the key stone was 1.5 to 2" thick and the gravel filter is what like and inch? That is a lot of real estate.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But how would a muriatic acid help down the line? It’s not gonna keep algae off it forever.
It strips the p04 from the rock! Gives you plenty of time to turn it purple be fore any other algae can take over… works great from my experience! I’ve never dealt with any algae’s in my life lol

javajaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do make roughly 1" thick pre-cut rock - stuff like life rock, etc. You could lay those on the bottom and then fill in the cracks/holes with sand? You could even intentionally leave larger gaps between some rocks to have larger areas of sand if you wanted. Could help with sand blowing around as well in high flow tanks depending on size/placement of such sand patches.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could raise everything off the glass half to an inch. Provide a method of flow underneath. @Lasse @Paul B what do you think of something like this? In theory it sounds like a good place to harbor all kinds of life. Especially if there's room for fish to dwell hidden away. As is in Paul's tank somewhat.
I have been using a reverse undergravel filter since Nixon was President. He didn't use one which is the main reason He couldn't keep a reef tank.

I don't know how anyone runs a reef tank without one. :cool:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a reverse undergravel filter since Nixon was President. He didn't use one which is the main reason He couldn't keep a reef tank.

I don't know how anyone runs a reef tank without one. :cool:
Same here. Just wondering if placing flat rock on top instead of dolomite or crushed coral would work.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand what the purpose of the flat rock is for. But I also don't understand why a Supermodel never came to my door to borrow a cup of Instant Ocean so there are many things I don't know. :anguished-face:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand what the purpose of the flat rock is for. But I also don't understand why a Supermodel never came to my door to borrow a cup of Instant Ocean so there are many things I don't know. :anguished-face:
They just want the look of having rock on the bottom as opposed to sand or bare bottom.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is silly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back