Rock capacity requirments verse Tank size

RDK63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local reef shop said to use at least one pound of rock per gallon for filtration and such. Since its a 36 gallon tank, i purchased 40 pounds of caribisea life rock. I laid out the card board pattern on a table. Marked off 2 inches around the whole card board box to allow for sand area and ability to clean inside the glass. I'm telling you that 20-25 pounds of rock about a 12-14 inches high is all i will be able to put in my tank. Anymore and i will not have any room for any kind of swimming fish to have room. Whats going to happen to my water balance if i cant put but half of what is recommended for a 36 gallon tank? I will ultimately put in a protein skimmer in my sump tank so that will limit adding much if any rock in there? This question is open to all and any that can give me some advice. I have enough rock to fill the cube and make the aquarium look like a Prison Facility. Thanks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fine don't worry. You probably will have enough rock for the fish to get away from each other, sleep, etc. Assuming you will have sand, you have enough surface area. A pound per a gallon is a convenient number but I have little confidence in there being anything backing it.

OP
OP
R

RDK63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fine don't worry. You probably will have enough rock for the fish to get away from each other, sleep, etc. Assuming you will have sand, you have enough surface area. A pound per a gallon is a convenient number but I have little confidence in there being anything backing it.
Thanks, I can always add some more on top later if necessary. I have it so i can add it. But, like the rock but also want enough water space to out swimmers in. Its only a 36 gallon tank so im limited to both the number and physical size of fish. I 'll give this a try as is. Your thoughts are helpful. So i am going to leave it alone . Two great minds think alike

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, see what happens in terms of sustainable water parameters given this amount of rock and make adjustments if necessary. All rock is not equal in terms of surface area, etc

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you’ve already purchased the rocks, put the leftover in the sump. I have about 20-25lbs in a 60g DT, and 30lbs in the sump w/ skimmer.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back